Posted to users@camel.apache.org by JavaAdam <a....@cenit.de> on 2013/09/09 09:38:30 UTC

Is the higher OSGi version really needed?

Hi,

I have tried to deploy an OSGi application based on Apache Camel 2.11.1 on a
IBM WebSphere Application Server 8. But I failed, because Camel 2.11.1
requires a newer OSGi Specification than the WAS provides (Equinox 3.6.1).
My investigation shows that the import version of org.osgi.util.tracker was
increased from 1.4 to 1.5 in 2.11.x. I wonder if this version jump is really
needed or if it just happend automatically because of some dependencies in
the build system?

Fact is, that Apache Camel cannot be used on WAS 8 within a "real" OSGi
application based on the provided OSGi platform.

Indeed the solution could be to provide an own OSGi platform embedded in my
application. But this is not my favorite solution.

Thanks
Adam

AW: Is the higher OSGi version really needed?

Posted by JavaAdam <a....@cenit.de>.
I have checked the new WAS version 8.5. But it is still using Equinox 3.6.1 (OSGI 4.2).

Adam

Adam Wehner
ECM R&D
CENIT AG
Kaiserswerther Straße 115
D-40880 Ratingen
Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
Point taken ;) - Was half joking.

Andreas

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think what he meant is that Camel currently can not run as  a real
OSGi application in Websphere App Server 8.
So in this environment it would be really great if we could lower the
minimum needed OSGi version.

I checked what OSGi release matches the update from package version 1.4
to 1.5.
This seems to be the update from version 4.2 to 4.3. I think the main
difference is that we have API packages for version 4.3(.1) that support
generics on Java 7. Not sure if we depend on any other API changes.

On the other hand it might be quite some effort to make sure we import
only the lower package version while not switching everything back to 4.2.

I am not too familiar with Websphere. Is there a newer version that
supports OSGi 4.3? I have seen there is version 8.5 of websphere but did
not see any details about the supported OSGi specs.

Christian

On 09.09.2013 11:48, Andreas Gies wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I see your point and can't answer whether the version change is really
> required.
> I would challenge the claim that camel can't be used in a "real" OSGi
> application.
> I am using Camel all the time in OSGi based apps and I would call them
> real as they
> solve real problems.
>
> This having said, I am packaging the application myself and therefore
> can choose a fitting OSGi
> provider.
>
> Best regards
> Andreas
>
> On 09/09/2013 09:38 AM, JavaAdam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried to deploy an OSGi application based on Apache Camel
>> 2.11.1 on a
>> IBM WebSphere Application Server 8. But I failed, because Camel 2.11.1
>> requires a newer OSGi Specification than the WAS provides (Equinox
>> 3.6.1).
>> My investigation shows that the import version of
>> org.osgi.util.tracker was
>> increased from 1.4 to 1.5 in 2.11.x. I wonder if this version jump is
>> really
>> needed or if it just happend automatically because of some
>> dependencies in
>> the build system?
>>
>> Fact is, that Apache Camel cannot be used on WAS 8 within a "real" OSGi
>> application based on the provided OSGi platform.
>>
>> Indeed the solution could be to provide an own OSGi platform embedded
>> in my
>> application. But this is not my favorite solution.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Adam
>>

>> --

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Is the higher OSGi version really needed?

Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
Hmmm,