Posted to user@ode.apache.org by krishnan subramanian <kr...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/10 20:53:27 UTC

Apache ODE and BPEL Standard related IPR

Hi all,

   I was going Apache ODE documentation and found that it is currently
licensed under
   the Apache License, version 2.0 terms&conditions which is extremely
non-restrictive
   (  a BIG thanks to the apache team for this!).

   I was going through the WS-BPEL 2.0 standard ( and the earlier
versions) and find
   that the standard itself was produced by 3 or 4 of the majors (
like SAP,MS, IBM etc)
   and that they *might* have IP rights over certain parts of the standards.

   I have gone through the Oasis website in detail and also have
looked through the
   Apache ODE mailing list archives and found that that last communication
   was the send out by Matthieu Riou titled "BPEL IP rights and
patent" on the December
   7, 2006. This mail seems to suggest that there are no issues on the
IPR front.

   I wanted to check if there was any further news on this front after
2006 and why the
   Apache ODE license does *NOT* mention IPR/license details of any of
the contributors
   of the standard itself.

   The background being that I am evaluating Apache ODE for a
commercial project and
   dont want to run into any legal issues.

   Any light thrown on this subject would be really useful.

regards,
Krish

Re: Apache ODE and BPEL Standard related IPR

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Krish,

Thanks for your interest in Apache ODE. Please see my comments inline.

On 10.02.2012 20:53, krishnan subramanian wrote:
>    I was going Apache ODE documentation and found that it is currently
> licensed under
>    the Apache License, version 2.0 terms&conditions which is extremely
> non-restrictive
>    (  a BIG thanks to the apache team for this!).

... like all software released by the Apache Software Foundation :)

>    I was going through the WS-BPEL 2.0 standard ( and the earlier
> versions) and find
>    that the standard itself was produced by 3 or 4 of the majors (
> like SAP,MS, IBM etc)
>    and that they *might* have IP rights over certain parts of the standards.
>
>    I have gone through the Oasis website in detail and also have
> looked through the
>    Apache ODE mailing list archives and found that that last communication
>    was the send out by Matthieu Riou titled "BPEL IP rights and
> patent" on the December
>    7, 2006. This mail seems to suggest that there are no issues on the
> IPR front.
>
>    I wanted to check if there was any further news on this front after
> 2006 and why the
>    Apache ODE license does *NOT* mention IPR/license details of any of
> the contributors
>    of the standard itself.

To my knowledge, these issues are cleared as per
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200612.mbox/%3C906BAFB9-4176-42D8-B9D3-1ED05414FF6C@apache.org%3E

Also there are other projects and companies that use ODE in their
products, be it open source or commercially used.

HTH,
  Tammo

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de