Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Pierre-Yves LANDRON <pl...@hotmail.com> on 2007/02/28 10:49:42 UTC

how to interpret the Solr score ?

Hello,

A silly question, but I think the subject isn't cover on the Solr wiki :
I'd like to use the score returned by Solr to give the user an estimation of
the response adequacy to his request (ok, that's what the score is for...).
But I cannot figure the meaning of this score : is it a precentage of the
response relevancy ? is it absolute, or relative to others given response ?
Is it the raw Lucene score (perhaps I'm wrong but it doesn't seems it is in
my case) ? Is there a way to obtain a meaningful score ( ie: human readable
) ?

Thanks for reading !
Pierre-Yves Landron

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.
  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline

Re: No segments file after optimizing using Luke

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 4/11/07, Michael Levy <Lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After using Luke v0.7 to Optimize Index, with either "Using Standard
> Format" or "Using Compound Format", and restarting Solr using jetty, I
> get a java.io.FileNotFoundException indicating that it can't find the
> segments file.
>
> There's no segments file in the index directory, but Luke optimization
> created files named segments_n (n being 3 for standard format and 6 for
> compound format) and segments.gen.
>
> How can I resolve this?  Thanks in advance!

If you are going to use another program to modify a Solr-Lucene index,
make sure that program is using the same version of Lucene that Solr
is :-)

The very latest version of Luke uses Lucene 2.1, which is later than
Solr1.1 uses.
Try using a nightly build of Solr.

-Yonik

No segments file after optimizing using Luke

Re: how to interpret the Solr score ?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 3/1/07, Pierre-Yves LANDRON <pl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen that maxScore you're speaking about. It's exactly what I
> needed.

It's an attribute in <result> when you elect to return scores.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
 <int name="status">0</int>
 <int name="QTime">0</int>
 <lst name="params">
  <str name="fl">score,*</str>
  <str name="q">ipod</str>
  <str name="indent">on</str>
 </lst>
</lst>
<result name="response" numFound="3" start="0" maxScore="2.4851787">
 <doc>
  <float name="score">2.4851787</float>
  <str name="id">IW-02</str>
  <bool name="inStock">false</bool>
  <str name="manu">Belkin</str>
  <str name="name">iPod &amp; iPod Mini USB 2.0 Cable</str>
  <int name="popularity">1</int>
  <float name="price">11.5</float>
  <str name="sku">IW-02</str>
  <date name="timestamp">2007-01-31T05:12:44.484Z</date>
  <float name="weight">2.0</float>
 </doc>
 <doc>
[...]

Re: how to interpret the Solr score ?

Posted by Pierre-Yves LANDRON <pl...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you Yonik,

I haven't seen that maxScore you're speaking about. It's exactly what I
needed.

Cheers,
P-Y L

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.