Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/22 00:30:04 UTC

Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.4.1

Jim,

Is liferay 4.4.1 available on a maven repo?  If not where can I find it?  Is liferay normally built with maven?  I snagged the plan off an earlier mail...

By far the easiest way to create a g 2.1 plugin is with maven.  I'm starting a maven archetype to make it easy to set up a maven project to generate a plugin.  This seems like a good test case.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jim Foster <jf...@tmtsaz.com>.

djencks wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Is liferay 4.4.1 available on a maven repo?  If not where can I find it?
> Is liferay normally built with maven?  I snagged the plan off an earlier
> mail...
>
> By far the easiest way to create a g 2.1 plugin is with maven.  I'm
> starting a maven archetype to make it easy to set up a maven project to
> generate a plugin.  This seems like a good test case.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Hi David,

I think this is an excellent suggestion!

When one thinks of application server usage, a Portal environment is usually
hovering near the top of use-case scenarios, followed closely by CMS, so if
we were to take Liferay as a first use-case and make it a model, we would be
solving many problems at once: your archetype development, a use-case model
suitable for public consumption, and solving my particular development
situation.

I need to step away right now, but I will follow-up again to this thread and
provide you with all the information you require so that we can work
together on getting this accomplished.

Thanks!

Jim

Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.4.1

Posted by Jim Foster <jf...@tmtsaz.com>.
Hi David,

djencks wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Is liferay 4.4.1 available on a maven repo?

  Unfortunately, no.

djencks wrote:

> If not where can I find it?

  Liferay has several sources:

  [1] Bundled distributions are at
      http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads/portal

  [2] The Additional Files page at
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads/additional has links for:

      - a war distribution of the portal itself

      - a dependencies collection of jars: portal-kernel, portal-service,
portlet
        (which I don't think are needed for Geronimo)

      - liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool-4.4.1.car
        (which must be deployed first, according to the site, and contains
the ra.xml file which we would need to update for v2.1)

      - manual database population scripts

  [3] Individual liferay components are also listed on sourceforge at

djencks wrote:

> Is liferay normally built with maven?  I snagged the plan off an earlier
> mail...

  No.

  If you browse the SVN repository at

    https://lportal.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lportal/

  you will see build.xml files in the directories, so the answer seems
apparent that they are sticking with ant.

djencks wrote:

> By far the easiest way to create a g 2.1 plugin is with maven.

  I hear that. Maven is the only way...period. Whatever I can do to assist
this effort, please do not hesitate to ask.

  I am by no means a maven guru, but I can certainly hold my own, and I am
willing to do any grunt work by way of testing, or anything else that you
deem appropriate.

djencks wrote:

> I'm starting a maven archetype to make it easy to set up a maven project
> to generate a plugin.  This seems like a good test case.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

  This is good to hear.

  With Geronimo v2.1 being made up almost entirely of plugins now, combined
with the momentum behind OSGi-ifying Geronimo, a solid plugin procedure
needs to be established.

Jim

Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.4.1

Posted by Jim Foster <jf...@tmtsaz.com>.
Hi David,

djencks wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I think how to fix the deployment problems might be described in one of
> the two features I actually documented.
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/configuring-run-as-and-default-subjects-and-principal-role-mapping.html

  And here I thought I had read every single page of GMOxDOC21...

  This is an excellent read, though some of it goes "swoosh" over my head.
  It will take another read or two in order for me to digest it all.

djencks wrote:

> I'm attaching an updated plan with what look like plausible changes.

  Looks good.

  In your edition of the deployment plan vis-a-vis the one currently in the
Liferay distro,
  I note that your modifications may be summarized as

    [1] namespace modified from "web-1.1" to "web-2.0.1"

    [2] dependencies:
            j2ee-security
            j2ee-server
            javamail
            rmi-naming       <= removed
            sharedlib
            geronimo-mail
            liferay-pool

    [3] security tag modified

    [4] gbean name="CredentialStore" is new

  Did I miss anything?

  I also note that the namespace specified for the CredentialStore does not
seem to exist,
  meaning http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/credentialstore-1.0.

djencks wrote:

> I haven't been able to figure out what you are trying to deploy with this
> plan from the 4.4.1 downloads, so I'll wait for more input from you.

  If you visited the bundled packages page of Liferay referenced above, then
you see that they are trying to be all things to all people, meaning
supporting just about every platform/configuration possible.

  A noble, if not ambitous effort.

  However, this means that the good folks at Liferay are busy with other
things other than staying current with the rapid development of Geronimo.

  For example, their current disto bundle for Geronimo is stuck at v1.1, and
I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

  That being the case, I wish to assume responsibility myself for syncing
deployment of the Liferay portal onto the Geronimo application server.

  This means determining what is needed to bring the original
Liferay-created deployment plans up to speed with current Geronimo
requirements.

  From what I can determine so far (and please correct me if I am wrong),
that means modifications to:

    - The geronimo deployment plan (in liferay-portal-4.4.1.war)
    - The JDBC connection pool (in

djencks wrote:

> I think the Roller plugin provides a good model for what you might end up
> with in terms of a reproducible plugin/server build environment.
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/roller/trunk
>
> This shows how to construct switchable database plugins (derby and mysql)
> and constructs roller plugins for jetty and tomcat, and shows how to
> assemble servers around these plugins.
>
> The archetypes I've started should help a lot with setting up projects
> like this.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

  This is perfect!

  I will endeavor to study your Roller plugin model today.

  ...and don't worry, I'm not shy when it comes to questions.

  From what I have read from you so far, I have the impression that your are
eager for informed feedback.

Jim