Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu> on 2018/06/14 13:35:26 UTC

Upgrade to OpenJPA 2.4.3?

Any objections to upgrading to OpenJPA 2.4.3? I think now is probably a good time, since we in any case need to do a lot of testing of the registry refactoring code changes.

A couple motivating reasons:

* In Maven we have a compile time dependency on OpenJPA 2.3.0 [1], but we are actually using 2.2.0 [2] to do the build time entity class enhancement. The reason for this is that doing build time entity class enhancement with 2.3 doesn’t work with Java 8, but OpenJPA 2.4 does support Java 8. Also turns out that at runtime for some reason we end up with OpenJPA 2.2.0, which is a more than 6 years old version of OpenJPA.  Upgrading to 2.4.3 would allow us to depend on a single version across all the Airavata modules.
* I’ve run into what looks like a bug [3] in OpenJPA 2.2.0, so I’m motivated to upgrade to OpenJPA 2.4.3 to see if that fixes it.

FWIW, I locally updated the registry-refactoring module to 2.4.3 and `mvn clean test` runs successfully, so this should be a drop in replacement.

Thanks,

Marcus

[1] https://github.com/apache/airavata/blob/group-based-auth/modules/registry-refactoring/pom.xml#L44
[2] https://github.com/apache/airavata/blob/group-based-auth/modules/registry-refactoring/pom.xml#L135