Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/01 03:26:31 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Remove generics and special message from file component

Comments inline,

Hadrian

On 08/31/2011 03:34 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> So what are your thoughts about that?
>> >
> Camel 2.x should be kept backwards compatible and API stable.
> We have end users who build custom components on top of the Camel file
> component and rely on the API being as is.
That is only true for APIs consumed by users (both kinds: end users and
component writers). It is much less relevant for code we consume ourselves.

> The camel-ftp component is built on top of the file component and the
> generics help making this possible.
And there are other ways to handle that.

> Back in the days when the file component was created for camel 2.0, it
> was meant to be a building block for file based components such as
> - ftp
> - commons-vfs
> - a webdav component
> It still makes sense to have it as a base component for file based
> components. Today commons-vfs is a dead project. But we frankly still
> miss a webdav component.
Unfortunately true for commons-vfs, and it doesn't look like it'll be
revived from what I could get.

> For Camel 3.0 we may consider adjusting pieces of it, if it makes sense.
>
> So to re-iterate my thoughts. Keep the 2.x as is.
> Consider changes for Camel 3.0 if it makes sense and is feasible.
Christian, what about leaving this for 3.0? I agree it needs to be done
and it's certainly feasible, but I am not sure it's that urgent.

Hadrian