Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Kevin Doran <kd...@apache.org> on 2018/06/16 01:26:59 UTC

Apache NiFi Registry 0.2.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Hello Apache NiFi community,

Please find the associated guidance to help those interested in
validating/verifying the Apache NiFi Registry release so they can vote.

# Download latest KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS

# Import keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# [optional] Clear out local maven artifact repository

# Pull down nifi-registry-0.2.0 source release artifacts for review:

wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.2.0/nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.2.0/nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip.asc
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.2.0/nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip.sha1
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.2.0/nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip.sha256
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-registry/nifi-registry-0.2.0/nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip.sha512

# Verify the signature
gpg --verify nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip.asc

# Verify the hashes (sha1, sha256, sha512) match the source and what was provided in the vote email thread
shasum -a 1 nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip
shasum -a 256 nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip
shasum -a 512 nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip

# Unzip nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip

# Verify the build works including release audit tool (RAT) checks
cd nifi-registry-0.2.0
mvn clean install -Pcontrib-check

# Verify the contents contain a good README, NOTICE, and LICENSE.

# Verify the git commit ID is correct

# Verify the RC was branched off the correct git commit ID

# Look at the resulting convenience binary as found in nifi-registry-assembly/target

# Make sure the README, NOTICE, and LICENSE are present and correct

# Run the resulting convenience binary and make sure it works as expected

# Test integration between the Registry and NiFi

Start the registry

    ./bin/nifi-registry.sh start

Create a bucket in the registry

    - Go to the registry UI at http://localhost:18080/nifi-registry
    - Click the tool icon in the top right corner
    - Click New Bucket from the bucket table
    - Enter a name and click create

Start NiFi

Tell NiFi about your local registry instance

    - Go the controller settings for NiFi from the top-right menu
    - Select the Registry Clients tab
    - Add a new Registry Client giving it a name and the url of http://localhost:18080

Create a process group and place it under version control

    - Right click on the PG and select the Version menu
    - Select Start Version Control
    - Choose the registry instance and bucket you want to use
    - Enter a name, description, and comment

Import a new PG from a versioned flow

    - Drag on a new PG like normal
    - Instead of entering a name, click the Import link
    - Now choose the flow you saved before

You should have a second identical PG now.

# Send a response to the vote thread indicating a +1, 0, -1 based on your findings.

Thank you for your time and effort to validate the release!

Re: Apache NiFi Registry 0.2.0 RC1 Release Helper Guide

Posted by Kevin Doran <kd...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

If Docker is preferable for anyone doing RC validation, here are the steps for building a NiFi Registry Docker image based on the convenience binaries for 0.2.0 RC1:

# From a source code checkout or from the unzipped source artifact provided (nifi-registry-0.2.0-source-release.zip), cd to the "dockerhub" sub directory of the nifi-registry-docker module:

    cd /path/to/nifi-registry-docker/dockerhub

# Run the following command, which will build the Dockerfile in this directory using ARGs to override the binaries to download to point to the RC convenience binaries:

    docker build \
      --build-arg UID=1000 \
      --build-arg GID=1000 \
      --build-arg NIFI_REGISTRY_VERSION=0.2.0 \
      --build-arg MIRROR=https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev \
      -t apache/nifi-registry:0.2.0-rc1 .

From there, follow the instructions in the dockerhub/README.md file for running the Docker image you just built in a container. Note to replace "apache/nifi-registry:latest" in the readme instructions with the tag in the command above, " apache/nifi-registry:0.2.0-rc1" For example:

    docker run --name nifi-registry \
      -p 18080:18080 \
      -d \
      apache/nifi-registry:0.2.0-rc1

This will make the container available from the host machine (via port forwarding) on the default 18080 port.

The dockerhub/README.md file includes instructions for running the image as a secured NiFi Registry.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for taking the time to look at the RC!

Kevin

On 6/16/18, 09:27, "Mike Thomsen" <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Thanks. I'll give those a look today.

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.