Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2005/11/22 02:11:35 UTC

[vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Re: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
John Casey wrote:
> I'm not sure what decisions led to that approach over, say, creating a
> trunk per plugin (ugly, I know)...but I'd think what's good for one
> would work for all. It would also help to maintain consistency here,
> IMO. So, I guess that leads me to say let's use one set of
> trunk/tags/branches for all of this new shared space.

Probably ease of checkout when there is a parent element. There's no
harm in having a series of tags that are all different, though that
means they themselves don't match the layout. But in their case its ok,
I think the same holds here. +1 to one trunk.

> | - how does this impact the bootstrap?
>
> This will have the same impact on the bootstrap as any other project
> that the core plugins depend on, but which isn't included in the core
> distribution.

This is different to the plugins - it builds without them by downloading
the latest version, but you require specific versions of these libraries
that may not be in the remote repo (though you should only encounter
them when building the plugins, so...)

I think its ok, we might just need to do a bit more work here.

> If you mean we shouldn't move maven-artifact into the shared space, I
> agree 100%. :-) Did you have specific concerns about some of the other
> projects that aren't quite so integral to Maven?

I was thinking of maven-archiver given it might require a newer version
of maven-project that ties it to that newer maven release, but thinking
about it, separating helps to separate chnages that require core updates
and changes that don't, so I don't think anything falls in this category
just now.

> | Keeping them truely separate is probably the best alternative here. If
> | maven-archiver is separate then it can get new versions and stick to 2.0
> | which controls what the prerequisite release of maven the plugins have.
>
> Yes, just as the plugins' specification of prerequisite maven version is
> going to become crucial (if it's not already), the shared projects will
> also have to depend on this feature. It will allow them to grow faster
> than the main Maven distribution.

You can't use the maven requirement to sto pa dependency being used like
a plugin is, though - it would stop you building with that version of
Maven. I know that's a bit inconsistent. We should probably make the
plugins decide their minimum Maven version based on the lowest bounds of
all included maven-* libraries that are in the lib directory...

Anyway, its important that we don't use newer versions until its needed.
And let the version mediation sort it out.

- Brett

Re: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Brett Porter wrote:
| +1, though I have some concerns having thought more about it
|
| - where do we trunk/branch/etc?

Well, the mojo project is probably the closest analogy to this new svn
space, unless it's the plugins space on ASF. In both cases, they share a
single trunk (and, implicitly, a single set of branches/tags, right?).
This, in spite of the fact that each plugin is on a separate release
cycle...

I'm not sure what decisions led to that approach over, say, creating a
trunk per plugin (ugly, I know)...but I'd think what's good for one
would work for all. It would also help to maintain consistency here,
IMO. So, I guess that leads me to say let's use one set of
trunk/tags/branches for all of this new shared space.

| - how does this impact the bootstrap?

This will have the same impact on the bootstrap as any other project
that the core plugins depend on, but which isn't included in the core
distribution. Those projects within this shared space that are required
by the core plugins will have to be included in the bootstrap. IIRC, we
have maven-archiver in the bootstrap already, along with the IT
verifier, etc. from the components space. Also, we're building the
plugins space (mounted at ../plugins from the root of the components
space). So, this doesn't represent *that* big of a change; it's just
another sibling space to checkout and build. If the plugins build is
contingent on the plugins being checked out, then we can extend this
idea and make plugin builds contingent on the ability to build these
shared projects (or the required subset, more likely).

| - not sure this is a good idea for any libraries closely ties to maven
| core releases.

If you mean we shouldn't move maven-artifact into the shared space, I
agree 100%. :-) Did you have specific concerns about some of the other
projects that aren't quite so integral to Maven?

| Keeping them truely separate is probably the best alternative here. If
| maven-archiver is separate then it can get new versions and stick to 2.0
| which controls what the prerequisite release of maven the plugins have.

Yes, just as the plugins' specification of prerequisite maven version is
going to become crucial (if it's not already), the shared projects will
also have to depend on this feature. It will allow them to grow faster
than the main Maven distribution.

cheers,

john

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
+1

Lukas

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

+1

> +1
>
> Emmanuel
>
> John Casey a écrit :

Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com
GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key

Re: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Re: [result] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

[result] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 20:11 -0500, John Casey wrote:

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

RE: [vote] Create maven-shared SVN space for shared, non-core APIs

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Arnaud