Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> on 2001/06/09 19:25:10 UTC

Torque: Domain definitions?

Does Torque provide (or plan to provide) support for datatype domains?

Domains are a means to define datatypes at the top of the script; what
I'd like to do is have a section in the XML that reads

<domain name="SHA" type="CHAR" length="20" />

and use it as

<column name="OBJECT_ID" type="SHA" />

Then, in Oracle or Sybase, this would resolve to something like

    execute sp_addtype OBJECT_ID, 'char(20)'

whereas, in MySQL (where I don't think domains are supported) Torquen
would need to resolve and substitute these user-defined types in the
SQL generation.

This allows me to make global datatype changes with semantic scope,
for example, to change the length of all my OBJECT_ID's without also
changing all other domains which just happen to resolve to char(20).

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@teledyn.com> TeleDynamics Communications Inc

Re: Torque: Domain definitions?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> writes:

>     D> Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> writes:
>     >> Does Torque provide (or plan to provide) support for datatype
>     >> domains?
>     >>
>     D> It doesn't currently support such a feature, but I would be +1
>     D> on its addition if you submitted such a patch.
>
> Deal .. All I have to do now is understand how XML works and then how
> Torque works --- I hope you're not in a hurry :)

No hurry.  :)

Re: [Question] Does Torque still have memory issues?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"James Coltman" <ja...@majorband.co.uk> writes:

> Torque is throwing a strange exception and when I examine the generated sql
> it is half finished. I am dealing with a big scheme so I am assuming it is
> probably a memory issue. Did the memory issues with Torque that have been
> discussed on this board before ever get resolved?
>
> If not, how do I boost the amount of memory that ant uses to run Torque?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.

Previous solutions to this problem involved increasing the JVM stack
and heap size (i.e. java ... -Xms128m -Xmx128m FooClass).

Daniel

Re: [Question] Does Torque still have memory issues?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/11/01 9:54 AM, "James Coltman" <ja...@majorband.co.uk> wrote:

> Torque is throwing a strange exception and when I examine the generated sql
> it is half finished. I am dealing with a big scheme so I am assuming it is
> probably a memory issue. Did the memory issues with Torque that have been
> discussed on this board before ever get resolved?
>
> If not, how do I boost the amount of memory that ant uses to run Torque?

Yes, the memory issue was resolved. However, if you are dealing with a large
schema, you may still need to increase the default JVM stack size. If you
look at your "ant" script, you can see that setting the JAVACMD env variable
will allow you to pass parameters to the java app...

Something like this (assuming t/csh)...

setenv JAVACMD "java -mx256m -ms256m"
ant

-jon

--
"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
            -Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft

[Question] Does Torque still have memory issues?

Re: Torque: Domain definitions?

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> writes:

> Does Torque provide (or plan to provide) support for datatype domains?
>
> Domains are a means to define datatypes at the top of the script; what
> I'd like to do is have a section in the XML that reads
>
> <domain name="SHA" type="CHAR" length="20" />
>
> and use it as
>
> <column name="OBJECT_ID" type="SHA" />
>
> Then, in Oracle or Sybase, this would resolve to something like
>
>     execute sp_addtype OBJECT_ID, 'char(20)'
>
> whereas, in MySQL (where I don't think domains are supported) Torquen
> would need to resolve and substitute these user-defined types in the
> SQL generation.
>
> This allows me to make global datatype changes with semantic scope,
> for example, to change the length of all my OBJECT_ID's without also
> changing all other domains which just happen to resolve to char(20).

It doesn't currently support such a feature, but I would be +1 on its