Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2021/11/22 15:58:05 UTC

release process issues with filevault (with cygwin)

Hi,

while executng the release process I encountered two issues that were
new to me (having done Jackrabbit and Oak releases in the past). I'm
writing that down here while the memory is fresh for future reference.

1. Filevault uses a newer release plugin and thus a newer plugin for gpg
signing. At least on my cygwin setup with an ancient gpg version, that
caused the signing process to fail with

   [INFO] gpg: cannot open tty `no tty': No such file or directory

Turns out that gpg is apparently called in interactive mode:

   [INFO] [DEBUG]   (f) interactive = true

and I couldn't figure out how to fix that.

In the end I decided to run the release process from within the Windows
Linux subsystem, and that fixed the signing issue.

2. Git push operations failed for me because Git was prompting me with
an incorrect user id (despite git config showing the "correct" values
IMHO). In the end I figured out that the username defaulting can be
overridden with "-Dusername=xyz".

With that, things worked for me.

Best regards, Julian

Re: release process issues with filevault (with cygwin)

Posted by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org>.
Hi Julian,

The error message is really weird, I would suggest reporting that at https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MGPG <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MGPG> with infos on your GPG version and OS. then at least maybe there could be a better exception message.

> 2. Git push operations failed for me because Git was prompting me with
> an incorrect user id (despite git config showing the "correct" values
> IMHO). In the end I figured out that the username defaulting can be
> overridden with "-Dusername=xyz".

maven-release-plugin's git push always uses the authentication method from the scm.developerConnection url, which is HTTPS for FileVault (https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-filevault/blob/b94a474e40dd229b047ec0c33fc3ac53dfc3d8a5/parent/pom.xml#L73 <https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-filevault/blob/b94a474e40dd229b047ec0c33fc3ac53dfc3d8a5/parent/pom.xml#L73>).
If you only cloned with SSH only the username is not yet in the cache and you need to actively set it.
We could switch to SSH and GitHub for the developerConnection as well, but that would bind us to GitHub infrastructure, so I am not sure this is a good idea.

> With that, things worked for me.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Regards,
Konrad