Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/15 03:46:39 UTC

RE: webservice question

the change is simple, but I question the value of
removing it altogether.  My preference is to err on
the side of flexible in this case, since entering the
proxy is a minor inconvience in my mind.

from past experience in previous jobs, VPN access
sometimes use proxies and explicitly block access and
are very restrictive. I never used the VPN myself, but
my co-workers used it frequently with lots of
complaints.

In a situation like that, always using the proxy would
prevent users from setting one sampler to use proxy
and one without. For example, when my coworkers logged
into the VPN, they still had unlimited access to the
internet through their broadband to the internet. In
this particular case, there were proxies between VPN
and the stagging network. some of the applications use
external webservices. if my coworkers wanted to
quickly verify the third party webservice is working
correctly and test a webservice in the stagging
environment, it wouldn't work. I CC'ed this dicussion
to jmeter-dev also. I'll see what the other developers
think. for now I'm inclined to keep the proxy fields
as is and require users enter the host and port.

I hope it's not too inconvienant requiring host and
port entry.

peter lin