Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu> on 2009/02/16 23:05:41 UTC

Re: tapestry-spring

you're saying that I should be able to use it with the snapshot builds now?

how do I turn it off?

Re: tapestry-spring

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Howard,
   thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize that there was such a
distinction (e.g. I understand that non-services can be injected). What are
the consequences of Spring services not being T5 services : e.g. what are
the kind of facilities that are available to T5 services that Spring
services wouldn't have ? I was poking around the documentation to try to
understand the difference that you outlined, and here's what I found:

( ---- from the environmental services page ---- )

Environmental services represent yet another, distinct form of injection.

Unlike service injection (injection via a service implementation's
constructor) or normal component injection (directly into component fields,
via the @Inject annotation) where the injected value is always the same,
with environmental services, the injected value is very late bound and
dynamic.

-----------------

So, one aspect that is evidently different is that services can have their
arguments injected into the constructor (which wouldn't be an issue w/
Spring services, as they're constructed and instantiated by Spring). What
are other aspects that were available to Spring services "before", and will
not be available after 5.1 ?

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev

Re: tapestry-spring

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The spring beans are still fully injectable, they just aren't
represented as Tapestry IoC services.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My personal opinion is that the "compatibility" mode should be the default
> mode : e.g. up to this point, there is no code that depends on the "new"
> mode. I find the "Spring beans are no longer exposed as services"
> particularly bothersome : for some reason, I think that there is a much
> better chance (at least in my apps) that I might have a "generally
> available" spring services that I'd need to inject into Tapestry than the
> other way around.
>
> Can somebody clue me in : what is the most important feature that requires
> the "incompatible" mode to be the default ? I remember reading on the list
> about Spring Web Flow integration, but is that the only thing that makes the
> new and incompatible mode the default ? What if the 'compatible' mode was
> the default, and if someone wanted SWF, they could enable the incompatible
> one ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex Kotchnev
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > you're saying that I should be able to use it with the snapshot builds
>> now?
>> >
>> > how do I turn it off?
>>
>> Does this sounds good to you?
>>
>> From http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-spring/

>> 5.0 Compatibility Mode
>>
>> In some circumstances, it is desirable to configure the Spring
>> ApplicationContext externally. The context <config-param>
>> "tapestry.use-external-spring-context" can be configured to "true".
>> Tapestry will then use an existing ApplicationContext, provided by a
>> Spring ContextLoaderListener. You will still be able to inject Spring
>> beans into Tapestry components and services, and the
>> ApplicationContext service will be visible ... but you will not be
>> able to inject Tapestry IoC services into Spring beans.
>>
>> This option provides compatibility with the tapestry-spring 5.0,
>> including exposing Spring beans as Tapestry IoC services (something
>> that no longer occurs unless compatibility mode is enabled).
>>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Massimo
>> http://meridio.blogspot.com