Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/28 08:28:23 UTC

ANN: The first hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

The first 0.94.0 RC is available for download here:

http://people.apache.org/~larsh/hbase-0.94.0-rc0/

(The tarballs are signed by Stack this time, since I do not have a signed Apache key, yet.)

HBase 0.94 is first and foremost a performance release with a few new features as well.

It is wire compatible with 0.92.x. 0.92 clients should work with 0.94 servers and vice versa.

You can do a rolling restart to get your 0.92.x HBase up on this 0.94.0RC.

The full list of changes is available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12316419.

Please take this RC for a spin, check out the doc, etc, and vote +1/-1 by April 4th on whether we should release this as 0.94.0.

Thanks.

-- Lars

Re: ANN: The first hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah, let's declared 0.94.0.rc0 dead. I retargeted some other issues back to 0.94.0.

-- Lars

________________________________
And we have to fix HBASE-5689: Skipping RecoveredEdits may cause data loss.

FYI

Would HBASE-5690 sink rc0 ?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Would HBASE-5690 sink rc0 ?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM, lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The first 0.94.0 RC is available for download here:

Reasons to test 0.94.0RC are performance improvements, mostly savings
in i/o but also more cache because blocks stay compressed in memory.

HBASE-4465 Lazy-seek optimization for StoreFile scanners
HBASE-5074 Support checksums in HBase block cache
HBASE-4608 HLog Compression
HBASE-5199 Delete out of TTL store files before compaction selection
HBASE-4532 Avoid top row seek by dedicated bloom filter for delete
family bloom filter
HBASE-4218 Data Block Encoding of KeyValues

Other features:

HBASE-5128 [uber hbck] Online automated repair of table integrity and
region consistency problems
HBASE-3584 Allow atomic put/delete in one call
HBASE-4536 Allow CF to retain deleted rows
HBASE-5229 Provide basic building blocks for "multi-row" local transactions.

St.Ack

Re: ANN: The first hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Ram,

>From my point of view, ideally it should. It is something I going to test.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: ANN: The first hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
I've gotten the a similar result wiht 0.94rc0 on top of something close to
hadoop 0.23.0.  However,  I've gotten something very close to the 0.92.1
release up and running against at hadoop hdfs 0.23.0.

How do you link in hadoop 0.23.x? Like with 0.92.1 on hadoop 0.23.0, I've
removed the hadoop-core-1.0.0 from the rc lib dir and linked in a handful
of jars from hadoop/share/hadoop/hdfs/hadoop*,
hadoop/share/hadoop/admin/hadoop*, and hadoop/share/hadoop/common/hadoop*.

I have nothing conclusive yet, but am digging.  More details below.

----

The Safemode code in hbase was in 0.92.0 and last changed 5 months ago.

https://github.com/apache/hbase/commit/1bd11ced54c6a3f5995ddb90768436cf0e79a3ea#L1L456

The class in hadoop seems deprecated backwards compat shim (HDFS-2412):
https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/protocol/FSConstants.java

But inherits from here which has the constant:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/protocol/HdfsConstants.java#L75

(which means with the 0.92.1/0.23.0 combo either it just works either never
exercised).

Jon.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan <

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
If I recompile either  0.92.1 or the 0.94.0rc0 with security and with the
hadoop 23 profile, I've been able to get the 0.94rc0 daemons up.  Out of
the tarball or recompiles against 23 without security get the error Ram
pointed out.  Still hunting down the root cause.

My understanding is releases are about code and not necessarily about the
binaries (jars) so probably shouldn't block this or other release
candidates.

I'll move discussion of this to

Jon

Posted by Ramakrishna s vasudevan <ra...@huawei.com>.
>I believe the 0.92 line suffers from this as well. (have to figure out how
>I got my version up and running).

Yes Jon.  Even 0.92 suffers from this problem.

We tried a restart of the 0.90 cluster(after shutting it down) and then again bringing it back with 0.94. This time we had a 0.20-append (related internal HDFS version)
of HDFS.  The cluster was able to come back with all the 1500+  regions and we were also able to scan some data using it.

I am not sure on voting the RC because of the 0.23 hdfs support with 0.92.1 and above.  My vote would be +0.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
And it works fine with 0.92.1?
[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

--
Todd Lipcon

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Thanks Lars and Jon.

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.

Posted by yu...@gmail.com.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
The second scenario.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I stopped 0.94 cluster, renamed 0.94 jar file and put back 0.92 jar file.
> When restarting 0.92 cluster, I found that region server couldn't open
> -ROOT- region.
> See:
> http://pastebin.com/Qqq6qiaw

No where do we guarantee your being able to go back to your old
version once you've upgraded.
St.Ack

Re: ANN: The first hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
After brief review of HBASE-5074 code, I think this call at line 214 of
FixedFileTrailer.serialize() caused what I saw:
     baosDos.writeInt(materializeVersion(majorVersion, minorVersion));
where 16777218 corresponds to majorVersion of 2 and minorVersion of 1.

Cheers

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.