Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/26 17:09:20 UTC

[Commons websites] not updated recently

Is there a reason why a some of the commons sites have not been
updated for a few months?  Isnt this giving people (outsiders) a false
sense of how active/inactive the projects are?

I thought that seeing as most sites are probably
auto-generated/updated using maven that someone would have cron'd
this?

Thanks,
Corey

Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
Excellent. Thanks for clearing this up.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
It's not a question of whether anyone could tell, or  whether or not
you should have mentioned it. The point is that the ASF can not accept
LGPL derived code, for legal reasons.

What you originally said was "I 'borrowed' and modified the jdiff
code", which says that your code is derived from JDiff code, which is
LGPL code. If what you meant is that you took the code from the JDiff
*Maven plugin*, and that is existing Apache code, then that is a very
different story.

If you're sure that your code is free of LGPL encumbrances, then by
all means feel free to send it here. Just for the record (in the mail
archives), it would be helpful if you could provide a ViewCVS URL to
what you based your code on in the Apache repository, to clear up any
confusion and make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 02:38:16 +0800, Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>PS.  I have to acknowledge the fact that I 'borrowed' and modified the
>>jdiff code (thanks go out to those responsible)
>

> AFAIK, JDiff is LGPL. That being the case, I don't believe we can
> accept your code here.

Well, was the code copied from the jdiff plugin or from jdiff itself ?
If it was just derived from the plugin which is licensed under the ASL
there would be no licensing issue.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] Website? Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:09:28 -0500, Mark R. Diggory
<md...@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hen and all,
>
> We put allot of work over the summer into getting the top level site to
> its current state. Having it be modular and easily updatable. Why is
> this coming across as difficult to maintain?
>
> jakarta-commons/commons-build/ `maven site:deploy` updates the top level.

Yep, my fault, sorry. Last time I tried (months ago) I could have
sworn it wanted to build all the components rather than just the
commons-build project.

I'll add your instructions to the site page on the wiki, as I don't
think we have it documented anywhere but email archives yet (?).

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CreatingStandardWebPresence

I'll try to commit some time to flesh out an example of my opinion on
where I think the site should go next. The main idea is a split
between a release site (the current one, with very few custom reports)
and a developer site (very few custom docs, lots of reports), loosely
based on the builds.osjava prototyping.

Hen

Re: [general] Website? Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Hen and all,

We put allot of work over the summer into getting the top level site to
its current state. Having it be modular and easily updatable. Why is
this coming across as difficult to maintain?

jakarta-commons/commons-build/ `maven site:deploy` updates the top level.

jakarta-commons/commons-build/ is where we maintain all the top level
documentation. Each project uses this plus their own project to generate
their maven site with the commons branding. There are references to the
commons-build jsl and menu contents in each project.properties for the
subprojects. You checkout commons-build and your project, go to your
project directory and run `maven site:deploy` and your site is updated.

Currently each project is responsible for the content of its site. This
was the only way to maintain the fact that different projects wanted to
have different strategies for publishing reports and javadoc
documentation. Its a solution that unified the look and feel while
maintaining sub-project autonomy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a fully integrated commons site and
I like the idea of a common javadoc/xref for the whole thing. Its just
getting all the custom reporting in line. And allowing the individual
projects to update pages when they want is very important too.

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: [general] Website? Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.
Corey Scott wrote:

> Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, but would this only be a
> matter of running the maven reports target against the release branch
> of the cvs not the latest?
> (this sound like something obtainable with a reasonably small amount of effort)
>
> Then hacking together a menu which indicated this?
>
> Please tell me if I am missing the point here.

Yes that's mostly that. I don't think generating the code reports (unit
tests, coverage, checkstyle...) for the older release is really
relevant. We just need the javadoc for every release and the
documentation pages.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [Commons websites] not updated recently

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.
Corey Scott wrote:
> Is there a reason why a some of the commons sites have not been
> updated for a few months?  Isnt this giving people (outsiders) a false
> sense of how active/inactive the projects are?
>
> I thought that seeing as most sites are probably
> auto-generated/updated using maven that someone would have cron'd
> this?

I believe the last time we spoke about this topic we stumbled on the
lack of distinction between stable and unstable documentation in maven.
With the default maven configuration, updating the site automatically
means publishing unstable javadoc API and documentation pages that do
not apply to the latest release, which is confusing for users. Some
projects likes [collections] or [digester] have hacked the publishing
process to generate separated documentations for released API and
developpement API, but this is not generalized yet. We just need someone
courageous to step in and harmonize the maven configurations for all
commons projects, or even better patch maven directly.

Emmanuel Bourg