Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2002/03/19 20:55:25 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 1551 - trunk/packages/freebsd/apr-devel/files

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> 'make install' as a result.

Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
can come up with a proper fix here.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svn commit: rev 1551 - trunk/packages/freebsd/apr-devel/files

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > > The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> > > substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> > > last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> > > 'make install' as a result.
> >
> > Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
> > enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
> > can come up with a proper fix here.
>
> In my original email to dev@svn in response to Garrett's commit, I
> hinted at the problem.

[...]
> This screams like an autoconf bug, but they keep changing their
> output parameters from one version to another.  Perhaps we need
> to always prefix our substituted variables with ap_/apr_ (for
> httpd/apr)?  I'm fed up with these changes.  -- justin
I get the distinct feeling that this is the only sane way to cope with the
autoconf guys changing stuff like this on us.
I can do this change tomorrow if we get consensus on it.

Re: svn commit: rev 1551 - trunk/packages/freebsd/apr-devel/files

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > > The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> > > substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> > > last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> > > 'make install' as a result.
> >
> > Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
> > enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
> > can come up with a proper fix here.
>
> In my original email to dev@svn in response to Garrett's commit, I
> hinted at the problem.

[...]

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > > The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> > > substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> > > last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> > > 'make install' as a result.
> >
> > Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
> > enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
> > can come up with a proper fix here.
>
> In my original email to dev@svn in response to Garrett's commit, I
> hinted at the problem.

[...]

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> > substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> > last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> > 'make install' as a result.
>
> Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
> enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
> can come up with a proper fix here.

In my original email to dev@svn in response to Garrett's commit, I
hinted at the problem.

To be more specific, the problem is that the symbol top_builddir
is now substituted by autoconf 2.53 and overrides our definition
of that symbol (which is stored in the make variable top_blddir).
However, autoconf makes top_builddir blank when srcdir==builddir,
but APR's build system relies upon top_builddir (via top_blddir)
to always be defined.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:40:10PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > The issue is with the way autoconf 2.53 does it's variable
> > substitution.  it's apparently different than 2.52 (or whatever the
> > last version of autoconf in the ports tree was), and breaks apr's
> > 'make install' as a result.
>
> Was there an email somewhere that described the problem? "breaks apr" isn't
> enough to assist here. With the info on hand on what breaks, then maybe we
> can come up with a proper fix here.

I discussed it with Justin Erenkrantz on IRC, and he posted something
about it to the svn list (in response to my commit of this patch to
the FreeBSD port).  I think he CC'd the apr list with that, but I'm not
possitive, as I'm not on that list at the moment.

The problem is that top_blddir isn't getting set in the Makefile, due
to some change in the way that the new autoconf does variable
substitution.  The patch I committed to the port fixes the simple
case, but apparently (according to Justin) breaks other things in the
build (builddir != srcdir I believe).

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would

Re: svn commit: rev 1551 - trunk/packages/freebsd/apr-devel/files

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.