Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2008/06/27 17:34:04 UTC

[fulcrum] Moving from M1 to M2

Hi folks,

I wrote a parent pom and migrated the builds of the following projects
to M2 (in order to bootstrap the M2 development)

+) fulcrum-yaafi
+) fulcrum-testcontainer
+) fulcrum-commonsemail

Before I call a vote to release the parent pom and affected fulcrum
components we need an agreement on the following points

1) parent pom

This was shamelessly nicked from Apache Commons and slightly
modified/improved - it is much better than anything I can write from the
scratch. Having said that it is complex and work in progress - you only
know that your parent pom is good when you did a few component releases.

The good thing is that we have a documentation how to release using M2
but this document is also work in progress
(http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases) - since I'm in the
lucky position to cut a commons release next week I will have a few more
ideas soon ...

2) groupId

The groupId is currently 'fulcrum' but it could/should be
'org.apache.turbine.fulcrum'. On the one hand this is the proper group
on the other hand you have to manually update your build if you want to
use the M2 artifacts. But we can't change after the first M2 releases ....

3) Download Page

I'm currently unable to automatically generate a download page for the
released artifacts

+) create it manually if needed - see
http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-yaafi/downloads.html
+) just skip it since most components are not downloaded separately but
only referenced in a build

4) Site Generation

Please check the site if I did miss something obvious

+) http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-yaafi/index.html
+) http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-testcontainer/index.html
(not yet mirrored - deployed today)
+) http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-commonsemail/index.html
(not yet mirrored - deployed today)

5) Dependency Management

I make the following assumptions regarding a fulcrum component

+) it exposes a transitive dependency on avalon-framework-api
+) it exposes NO transitive dependency on an Avalon container (ECM, YAAFI)
+) it exposes NO transitive dependency on avalon-framework-impl

6) Maintaining the M1 build in parallel

A lot of folks are using M1 and are not familiar with M2 - I suggest an
ongoing M1 support but no M1 based releases.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: [fulcrum] Moving from M1 to M2

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> 2) groupId
>
> The groupId is currently 'fulcrum' but it could/should be
> 'org.apache.turbine.fulcrum'. On the one hand this is the proper group
> on the other hand you have to manually update your build if you want to
> use the M2 artifacts. But we can't change after the first M2 releases ....

I'd vote for "org.apache.fulcrum" because thats what the package name
is. We tried "org.apache.db.torque" before but switched to
"org.apache.torque" because that was where people expected it to be.

> +) create it manually if needed - see
> http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-yaafi/downloads.html
+1

> A lot of folks are using M1 and are not familiar with M2 - I suggest an
> ongoing M1 support but no M1 based releases.
+1

Bye, Thomas.