Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by John Wojtowicz <wo...@tcs-sec.com> on 2000/01/07 16:20:55 UTC

Authentication and ProxyPass

I have a question regarding authentication and the ProxyPass directive,
in mod_proxy.

I've setup a ProxyPass vhost (reverse proxy, web mirror, or whatever
your terminology is)  and set authentication on it.  When my web
browser sends a request to the vhost, it sends back a Proxy Auth
error.  The browser refuses to bring up the user/password dialog
box, because it isn't configured to use a proxy.

My question is... is this a bug in the browser, or in the Apache
web server?  Also if it is a bug in apache shouldn't the ProxyPass
vhost *always* send an Auth error rather than a Proxy Auth error,
to cause the browser to display the user/password dialog?

(conversely, the should a normal proxy *always* send a Proxy Auth error
 rather than an Auth error?)

John
--
John Wojtowicz, Secure Systems Engr.  ph:    (703) 318-7134
Trusted Computer Solutions, Inc.      fax:   (703) 318-5041

Re: Authentication and ProxyPass

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
John Wojtowicz wrote:

> I have a question regarding authentication and the ProxyPass directive,
> in mod_proxy.
>
> I've setup a ProxyPass vhost (reverse proxy, web mirror, or whatever
> your terminology is)  and set authentication on it.  When my web
> browser sends a request to the vhost, it sends back a Proxy Auth
> error.  The browser refuses to bring up the user/password dialog
> box, because it isn't configured to use a proxy.
>
> My question is... is this a bug in the browser, or in the Apache
> web server?  Also if it is a bug in apache shouldn't the ProxyPass
> vhost *always* send an Auth error rather than a Proxy Auth error,
> to cause the browser to display the user/password dialog?
>
> (conversely, the should a normal proxy *always* send a Proxy Auth error
>  rather than an Auth error?)

I fixed this one last millenium... it ought to be in the snapshots
(assuming I actually committed the fix). Let me know if not.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi