Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/01/09 01:23:50 UTC

Release area missing LICENSE file?

Hi,

At http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html it states:

"Is A Full Copy Of The License Required In Each Source File?
In short, only one copy of the license is needed per distribution. This full license file should be placed at the root of the distribution in a file named LICENSE. For software developed at the ASF, each source file need only contain the boilerplate notice."

Does that mean the LICENSE file should exist in the /dist/flex directory or just zipped up in the src bundle?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Release area missing LICENSE file?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think we shouldn't do this.  Especially the NOTICE as it pertains to the
> SDK itself.  Different work we do and put on dist will have different NOTICE
> files.

OK NOTICE file removed.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/8/13 4:40 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I was told on incubator.a.o that the dist and release tag in SVN should
>> contain the README, NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER (not required anymore)
The tag does contain these files, but in a random sampling of the dist
folder, I only saw one project with a LICENSE file at the root.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Release area missing LICENSE file?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html it states:
>
> "Is A Full Copy Of The License Required In Each Source File?
> In short, only one copy of the license is needed per distribution. This
> full license file should be placed at the root of the distribution in a
> file named LICENSE. For software developed at the ASF, each source file
> need only contain the boilerplate notice."
>
> Does that mean the LICENSE file should exist in the /dist/flex directory
> or just zipped up in the src bundle?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

I was told on incubator.a.o that the dist and release tag in SVN should
contain the README, NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER (not required anymore)

But a quick glance at http://apache.org/dist/ shows that not many of the
TLPs do this.  But I think it is safer to include it.

Om

Re: Release area missing LICENSE file?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/8/13 4:23 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html it states:
>
> "Is A Full Copy Of The License Required In Each Source File?
> In short, only one copy of the license is needed per distribution. This full
> license file should be placed at the root of the distribution in a file named
> LICENSE. For software developed at the ASF, each source file need only contain
> the boilerplate notice."
>
> Does that mean the LICENSE file should exist in the /dist/flex directory or
> just zipped up in the src bundle?

IMO, "root of the distribution" === "zipped up in the src bundle"

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team