Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rashko Rejmer <rr...@iguanait.com> on 2008/07/09 15:40:36 UTC

Opinion about order items cancellation and update processes

Hi,

I wanted to ask the community about an opinion regarding the way order
item cancellation and update are currently implemented.

There are differences between these two processes.

Order update: Shopping cart is recreated from the order, then
appropriate changes are made and the cart is stored again.

Order item cancellation is implemented in shorter way, that IMO is
little bit incorrect. For example if you cancel only part of an order
item, then all corresponding item adjustments(tax, promotion) are not
recalculated. They are created balancing order header adjustments for
the difference between the previous and new order adjustment amounts. In
this thread was proposed not to create balancing adjustments when
cancelling order items: http://markmail.org/message/3yv6etafkqo6fuu2
I think that this shorter implementation was considered and implemented
because of the problem with inventory reservations, but IMO in the
current implementation inventory reservations are not created in a right
way also. E.g if you create order that include promotional order items
during order item cancellation all promotional order items are
cancelled(with their inventory reservation) and the system creates new
promotional items if applicable. In many situations they are created
unique promotional items, but with new inventory reservations.

I will be very glad if someone can confirm that and propose an idea how
these processes(order items cancellation and update) should be
implemented in a proper way.

Regards,
Rashko Rejmer

Re: Opinion about order items cancellation and update processes

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Rashko,

I must admit I have no time to look at this before Thursday 24. But this is something really important, and we can't escape too long
to fix it. So I will have a serious look at it next week.

I already have done some specific fixes, or rather workarounds, on this topic (notably to be able to show only  gross prices in
backoffice) but did never decide to tackle it completly.

In my opinion there are 2 ways to face it : reverse engineering or complete study from scratch (diagram, scenarios, use cases,
etc.). I think we should better take the first solution to avoid to miss some points already present in code.

If someone has a string opinion about that, please chime in...

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Rashko Rejmer" <rr...@iguanait.com>

Posted by Rashko Rejmer <rr...@iguanait.com>.