Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com> on 2017/11/25 18:54:27 UTC

Re: [nbdev] Re: Packaging Netbeans on Gentoo

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 20:21:11 +0200
Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope you pull it off. And I'm curious if you build becomes any
> faster (meaning -- are Gentoo builds parallel with -j or something?).

I will, I am determined like that. I am not sure if it will be faster.
Yes Gentoo portage can merge more than one package at a time via
-j/--jobs.Though due to portage overhead, being slower than a slug at
times. I think over all it maybe slower. Definitely with unpacking, etc.

However users will have uber fine grained control. From stupid slim
with like no function. To all bells and whistles. I will add USE flags
that pull in sets of netbeans packages. But users could grab those one
by one and make their own mix. The flexibility and customization is the
real benefit.

> I also though about using some newer build system for NetBeans, like
> Facebook's Buck (https://buckbuild.com/ ) or Google's Bazel
> (https://bazel.build/ ), since they are presumably much faster (and
> support backend systems to do remote builds for you, build artifacts
> caching, etc).

I would stick with ant. I work with many build systems, not those
though. Most Java is Maven or Gradle. I personally like Gradle for new
stuff just minimal build files. Maven is larger, and ant is pretty
huge. For other stuff autotools, cmake and the new meson. Which seems
people are migrating to meson like crazy. I would not recommend
using python to build Java, but that maybe moot for most.

Main gripe I would say with Netbeans ant is the bundled libraries that
must match to what the build system expects. Otherwise you get failure.
Ideally that stuff should be fetched via ivy or other.

Ant has beauty in simplicity. Need deps add in Ivy. Its pretty hard
to get Maven or Gradle to not fetch stuff. Due to such and needing a
local repo etc. Maven nor Gradle have ever been integrated into Gentoo
build system. Even the ant build system has issues, and needs major
work to support 9 with --release vs source/target. As it has to
re-write build.xml files to change release/source/targets that are hard
coded and classpaths.

IMHO much easier to bypass all that on Gentoo. But that does not help
for others. If portage was faster. It could be used to build stuff. But
I do not see that being an option any time soon. Though could make a
pretty neat Java build system.

P.S.
I really do not like Googles FOSS efforts. I would go more with
Facebook products than Google. I am on the anti-google bandwagon and
really not a fan. They seem to fork vs contribute....
https://github.com/google/conscrypt
https://github.com/google/boringssl

They also produce horrible complex garbage code. Look at all the
google-* packages in my repo. I ended up not using any and went with
json-simple.  For Facebook, 1 Facebook4j. Facebook's GraphQL is very
nice as well. Google REST API's are garbage and horrible complex.
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/dev-java/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphQL
https://github.com/facebook/graphql
https://github.com/roundrop/facebook4j

I would never touch Google cloud either. Its crazy complex and makes no
sense. I have worked with most others, AWS, Rackspace, Linode, Digital
Ocean, Vultr, and some others.

Google also has a horrible ego.... Little to nothing of theirs
impresses me or is worth using IMHO. Avoid if you can. IF you can...

-
--
William L. Thomson Jr.