Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de> on 2003/11/06 15:14:44 UTC

Questionmarks instead of umlauts in JPEG serialized SVGs ?

Hi,

I am having some strange problems with the svg-to-jpeg serialisation in
combination with german umlauts. I am using cocoon to dynamically
generate images according to the url of the immage. If I embed an image
"/images/Title.jpg" a jpeg containing the text "Title" is created. My
problem now is, that if I link "/images/%FCberschrift.jpeg", which is
URL-Encoded "überschrift", I get the correct image, but at the position
where the umlaut is, there is a black diamond with a white question mark
inside. I have tried several things, but I couldn't get this to work.

Hans anyone here got an idea?

Thanx in advance,
    Christofer Dutz

Re: Questionmarks instead of umlauts in JPEG serialized SVGs ?

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
If you do this direct mapping from request param to stylesheet param,
the request character encoding must be the same as the stylesheet
encoding if I remember correctly. We had the same problem 1,5 years ago
when generating images dynamically. At the end we circumvent it by using
i18n, where only the key is given in the URL of the image. This key
never contains any umlaut, because it is simply the english word.

What can you do:

1) Change the encoding of the stylesheet to the request encoding, so
that the sitemap param is passed in the correct encoding.

2) Use only characters from the US ASCII char set (first 2^7 characters)
as key and use i18n transformer for translating them. This allows also
later internationalization (this is why it's called i18n transformer :).

Joerg

Posted by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.