Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by "Farmer, Todd" <to...@elmresources.com> on 2005/07/19 01:06:04 UTC

Getting started with RC3

Hi,

I apologize if this is a FAQ; I cannot access the archives and need some
help installing RC3.  I have an existing Tomcat 5.0.x instance that I
want to use to host Pluto, so I've attempted to download an build from
source.  I followed the instructions (Maven is already installed and I'm
somewhat familiar with it), but I get the following error when I try to
run Maven:

C:\Documents and Settings\todd\Desktop\Java\Pluto Portal\deploy>maven

 __  __

|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___

| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~

|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0.2

Attempting to download pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar.

WARNING: Failed to download pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar.

The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
dependency:

pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar

Total time: 4 seconds

Finished at: Mon Jul 18 15:35:21 PDT 2005

I cannot find this JAR file anywhere, including in the binary
distribution.

Just to try to get up and running, I tried to install the binary
distribution.  Again, I followed the instructions, but it failed while
trying to launch Tomcat 5.5.9, as my JAVA_HOME points to a 1.4 JRE.  I
don't yet have a 1.5 JRE installed.  I can do that, it that's what it
takes.  It's not called out as a dependency anywhere on the installation
guide, which I think may be a bit of an oversight.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Thanks!

Todd Farmer

Re: Getting started with RC3

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Farmer, Todd wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I apologize if this is a FAQ; I cannot access the archives and need some
> help installing RC3.  I have an existing Tomcat 5.0.x instance that I
> want to use to host Pluto, so I’ve attempted to download an build from
> source.  I followed the instructions (Maven is already installed and I’m
> somewhat familiar with it), but I get the following error when I try to
> run Maven:
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\todd\Desktop\Java\Pluto Portal\deploy>maven
>
>  __  __
>
> |  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
>
> | |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
>
> |_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0.2
>

> Attempting to download pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar.
>
> WARNING: Failed to download pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar.
>
> The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependency:
>

> pluto-descriptors-1.0.1-rc3.jar
>

> Total time: 4 seconds
>
> Finished at: Mon Jul 18 15:35:21 PDT 2005
>

> I cannot find this JAR file anywhere, including in the binary distribution.

Yes, this is an error in the source distribution.  We are looking to
resolve it by releasing RC4 more quickly than planned.

> Just to try to get up and running, I tried to install the binary
> distribution.  Again, I followed the instructions, but it failed while
> trying to launch Tomcat 5.5.9, as my JAVA_HOME points to a 1.4 JRE.  I
> don’t yet have a 1.5 JRE installed.  I can do that, it that’s what it
> takes.  It’s not called out as a dependency anywhere on the installation
> guide, which I think may be a bit of an oversight.

Missing documentation is always a possibility.  Please submit a
documentation patch if you can so that others can benefit from your
trials., otherwise, we'll add it to the todo list.