Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Frederic Laub <in...@012.net.il> on 2002/09/29 22:13:52 UTC

Only single attribute collections in ActionForm?

Hi,

I'm building a web application using Struts, all the aspects of the
framework are new to me.
I try to stick to the MVC design, the Model and Controller are quite clear
to me.
Thanks to the wonderful work of the Struts team and in particular Chuck
Cavaness and his Jakarta Struts Book Review.
I still don't know how to design my view components and FormActions, maybe
because of the missing chapter 8 (Custom Tag Libraries) of the review?
Question 1) Where can I find this missing chapter? (PS I pre-ordered the
book)
I want to stick to the struts tag-lib and their use with FormBeans but I
didn't find any convincing example of ActionForms for composed input pages.
I have a page with a table, in each cell is a picture with display
attributes (number, comment, link, ...) and input fields (check box for
selection, quantity, ... ), the last cells may be empty (conditional
display).
I designed a PageView which is composed of PictureViews (with all the
attributes for one cell).
Question 2) Where can I find an example for building this kind of JSP page
with multi-level nested Struts tags (iterate, logic, ...) which will be used
as input of an ActionForm?
Question 3) Do I need to decompose my input attributes in my ActionForm to
simple Arrays/ArrayLists (Is it a best practise?):
            selectedPictures[]
            pictureNumbers[]
            orderedQuanties[]

Your help will be appreciated!!
Frederic

PS Mastering jakarta Struts is already part of Java collection.