Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/02 16:11:58 UTC

Re: UUIDGen in jUDDI v3

I created a unittest for the various UUID generators and found:

1. DefaultUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 817 milliseconds.
354A0C80-D8D2-11DD-8C80-A1CCD6EA2465

2. NativeUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 2273 milliseconds.
F24B5CBE-ACE1-47B1-A0D2-57C4DB75E531

3. JavaUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 13 milliseconds.
8ada24b2-a19f-47d4-b5c2-96b0c71ad8f3

Number 3 uses UUID in java (1.5+ feature)

according to the javadoc of 'DefaultUUIDGen' this one was created to
increase the speed of UUID generation, which indeed is much faster then
using native (none java) solutions.

I see no reason to keep the org.apache.juddi.uuidgen package. We can
always pull it back out of source control if we really need it, but I
doubt we will ever look back.

--Kurt