Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/25 03:03:27 UTC

Release plan of RocketMQ 4.0.0

Hi

I just noted there is  a release plan[1] in the JIRA,  such as releasing
4.0.0 next month. I had to admit it's a really aggressive plan.

As a major release, we usually set some targets and make a plan, such as
some kind of new features or roadmap and after some milestone releases we
can finally do a major release. As we don't have this kind of discussion in
the mailing list, I start it first.

First, it's a good time to think about changing the package name at this
major release, otherwise we will put more efforts to maintain the different
code branches.  If there are some Alibaba inside projects which is hard to
change at a short time, my suggestion is keeping the RocketMQ 3.x.x branch
for maintenance and upgrading the internal project step by step. It could
buy us some time of the internal project upgrade if we start it right now.

Second, most of the test codes are not in good sharp to help us catch the
error. We need put some efforts to improve the test codes quality to build
a solid framework for accepting the contribution from the community.

Third,  do we have any other feature development plan here?

Regards,

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: Release plan of RocketMQ 4.0.0

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure how big gap between RocketMQ 3.5.8 and RocketMQ 4.0.0 from the code prospect(There is no commit history).  I don't see any documents mentioning that we are developing RocketMQ 4.0.0.

We should discuss the developing plan in the mailing list to attract the development efforts from the community, instead of just dumping the code here.

Build a diversity community is a major concern of the mentor, so please start the discussion first in the mailing list, instead of making decision in a private way.

We could start a proposal first and ask the feedback from the community.

It could take few months to release RocketMQ 4.0.0. My suggestion is we setup 3.x branch for the maintenance of the usage of the inside project. You don't need to change the inside project at this time.

But for the Apache RocketMQ user community, it's  a good way to avoid the package name change at the first place and it make sense that we change the package name for the first Apache incubating release.

Once we release the RocketMQ 4.0.0, the inside projects can decide to upgrade later.

Regards,

Willem

发自我的 iPhone

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.