Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by berndq <be...@gmx.net> on 2007/01/16 08:23:31 UTC

assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Hi,

I did not get an answer on the users list so I try it here:

I use the assembly plugin to create multiple assemblies from a multi
module project:

           <descriptors>
             <descriptor>src/main/assembly/server.xml</descriptor>
             <descriptor>src/main/assembly/client.xml</descriptor>
           </descriptors>

This works nicely.

But how could I make manifest modifications per assembly? Can this be
configured an a per assembly basis? E. g. different main classes.

There seems to be no way to modify the manifest from the descriptor, I
could not find manifest related things here
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly.html

Is this a bug or at least a valid enhancement?

best regards
Bernd

MASSEMBLY-121: fix does not work for me.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
John Casey wrote:

> As for MASSEMBLY-121, could you reopen it and add a test case that is
> failing? I'll try to take another stab at it, if I can see what's failing.

I added a test, can someone please verify if the test is valid?

I can not re-open it (not priviliges for me?)
Can someone do that for me please? ;-)
Or shall I open a new one and link to -121?

thanks

Bernd

Re: assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-177

> As for MASSEMBLY-121, could you reopen it and add a test case that is
> failing? I'll try to take another stab at it, if I can see what's failing.

I added a test case but I do not see an obvious way to reopen it. (maybe
I have no permission?)

thanks
Bernd

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
John,

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.

> Any chance this is an open source project I can download?

no :-(

But you may try:

mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=test -DartifactId=executions

and modify the pom to include the executions:

   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>test</groupId>
   <artifactId>executions</artifactId>
   <packaging>jar</packaging>
   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <name>executions</name>
   <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
   <dependencies>
     <dependency>
       <groupId>junit</groupId>
       <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
       <version>3.8.1</version>
       <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>
   </dependencies>

   <build>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>assembly:package-bin</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
              <!--
                Work around for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-97
                as the goal should be attached.
              -->
              <goal>single</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
					<descriptorRefs>
						<descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
					</descriptorRefs>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
          <execution>
            <id>assembly:package-project</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
              <!--
                Work around for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-97
                as the goal should be attached.
              -->
              <goal>single</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
					<descriptorRefs>
						<descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
					</descriptorRefs>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
   </plugins>
   </build>
</project>

I am using <descriptorRefs> so no need for an external descriptor file.

and then run

mvn clean package assembly:assembly

This is what I do to see the problem.

> One last guess.  Have you updated your local plugins?
> Try running
>  mvn -cpu -U package

did not help

Bernd

Re: assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Barrie,

> Try cut and pasting my plugin config and replace each descriptor with
> the files for yours.

same problem :-(

I'll try to debug and post more information...

Bernd

Re: assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 1/20/07, berndq <be...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Barrie,
>
> > And you are sure these files exist?

I'm at a loss.

Try cut and pasting my plugin config and replace each descriptor with
the files for yours.

Other than that I can't work out why it is not working for you and it
works for me.

Re: assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Barrie,

> And you are sure these files exist?

yes

D:\projekte\template\templatePom-trunk>dir src\main\assembly
..
14.01.2007  11:03               884 client.xml
14.01.2007  11:04               886 server.xml

remember it works without <executions>.

Bernd

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Barrie,

I tried with and without values, always the same error,
even with your new suggestion.

This is a direct copy/paste:

        <plugin>
         <version>2.1</version>
         <executions>
            <execution>
              <id>assemble-server</id>
              <goals>
                <goal>single</goal>
              </goals>
              <configuration>
                <descriptors>
                  <descriptor>src/main/assembly/server.xml</descriptor>
                </descriptors>
              </configuration>
            </execution>
            <execution>
              <id>assemble-client</id>
              <goals>
                <goal>single</goal>
              </goals>
              <configuration>
                <descriptors>

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Hi Barrie,

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Hi Barrie,

thanks for your help

> Cant you just define multiple configurations, where each configuration
> has the settings you want rather than lump them in the one section?

this results in

[INFO]
[INFO] No assembly descriptors found.
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.BuildFailureException: No assembly descriptors found.
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:555)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:488)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:458)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:219)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:140)
         at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
         at
         at
         at
         at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoFailureException: No assembly
descriptors found.
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AbstractAssemblyMojo.readAssemblies(AbstractAssemblyMojo.java:773)
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AbstractAssemblyMojo.execute(AbstractAssemblyMojo.java:233)
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:412)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:534)
         ... 16 more

for me.

Bernd

Re: assembly plugin, multiple descriptors and manifest modifications

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.