Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/17 11:45:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Load Balancing

I have a short question about mod_proxy_loadbalancer.
I haven't used this yet, and am investigating if this module is worth
upgrading our servers to 2.2 for.

I currently use an apache server to forward requests to a backend
application server. For performance reasons we want to add another
application server, and apache would balance requests to both.
However, when one of the application servers is/goes down apache
should stop sending requests to this server. From the documentation it
is not entirely clear to me if apache does this.
So my question: If I were to create a configuration like this:

ProxyPass /webapp/ balancer://appcluster/webapp

        <Proxy balancer://webapp>
          BalancerMember http://app1.example.com
          BalancerMember http://app2.example.com
          ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
        </Proxy>

What would happen in this case were app1 dead. Would all requests then
go to app2, or would half of all requests just fail?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

RE: [users@httpd] Load Balancing

Posted by Narendra Verma <na...@impetus.co.in>.
In short
All requests then go to app2.

Narendra

On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Krist van Besien wrote:

> What would happen in this case were app1 dead. Would all requests then
> go to app2, or would half of all requests just fail?

The former.  And it'll pick the failed backend back up when it comes
back online.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: [users@httpd] Load Balancing

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Narendra Verma <na...@impetus.co.in>.
Hi Krist;
There are two different options are available
1. Non clustered environment. (With sticky session on)
   In this type of configuration if any one application server would be
down/failed then all sessions are created by this server would be destroyed.
And all new coming requests would automatically forward to the enabled
application server. Because load balancer checks that which server is
enabled?

2. clustered environment. (With sticky session off)
   This is more difficult concept, but it provides failover concept. Here
your all app server are configured in a clustered environment. Where
sessions are replicated from one to another. So if any server would be
failed then sessions are replicated to another server, in this way any
session would not be destroyed.All request can be fulfilled by another app
server if one failed. This is just a power of clustering.

If you want more configuration related help so please let me know!!
Ok bye and tc.
Narendra

[...]

A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?