Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Warron French <wf...@xtria.com> on 2004/11/04 19:21:50 UTC

[users@httpd] If I install Apache-1.3.xx

If I installed Apache-1.3.33 how would I later on go about UPGRADING it to let's say Apache-1.3.37?

Would I have to uninstall and reinstall everything, backing up a copy of the httpd.conf file?

Warron French
Sr. Network Engineer
Xtria, LLC

Re: [users@httpd] If I install Apache-1.3.xx

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.
You can install two different versions on the system (though you didn't
say what kin of OS).
Later when you are switching - just copy the httpd.conf and make sure
you are not trying to listen on same ports on same IPs with both instances.
HTH
Aman Raheja

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:21:50 -0500, Warron French <wf...@xtria.com> wrote:
> If I installed Apache-1.3.33 how would I later on go about UPGRADING it to let's say Apache-1.3.37?
>
> Would I have to uninstall and reinstall everything, backing up a copy of the httpd.conf file?

No.  If you are installing from source on unix, you can install the
new version right on top of the old one with no harm.  The install
process will preserve your config files and data.  Of course, you
shouldn't do anything like this without having a backup.  And if you
are talking about a busy live site, you should do a test install with
a different --prefix first to make sure everything works.

If, on the other hand, you are not doing a source install but are
using some third-party package, then all bets are off.  You need to
talk to whomever made the package.

Joshua.