Posted to user@aries.apache.org by Balázs Zsoldos <ba...@everit.biz> on 2012/05/09 23:31:26 UTC

Quiesce and JPA Extender

Hi,

I am currently cleaning out the code of Aries JPA Container. I make
everything event handled (waiting for DataSourceFactory, DataSource,
XADataSource, PersistenceProvider). When a ParsedPersistenceUnit has
everything it needs createEntityManagerFactory is called only in that case.
I handle also the modification of the required services and the removing of
them.

It is a big refactor and I spent days till now to understand why a couple
of things was written in the way in the code as it was.

Now I have the following problem:

I cannot understand why Quiesce is good. I am really sorry :). I searched
for QuiesceManager and saw that it is used in blueprint and jpa extender
only to provide this service (and in the blog test).

I see the following texts like this: Quiesce helps safely unregister every
resource before a bundle is stopped. I am asking why it is necessary? A
Bundle cannot safely unregister it's resources when the activator.stop is
called? All I see that it makes the code really hard to understand and
nobody uses QuiesceManager service to stop any bundle... Why is the simple
bundle stopping way good?

I could not find any documentation on the website. At the moment I can only
refactor the code in the way that I remove all quiesce related code as I
think it is hardly ever used. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Balazs Zsoldos
Software Architect
Mobile: +36-70/594-92-34