Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Charles Palmer <ch...@dspdesign.com> on 2004/08/05 13:36:36 UTC

Looking for someone to help with skins, stylesheets

team

I've just started with Forrest, and it looks promising for my task of generating technical manuals for our products to publish as HTML and as PDF. I am happy enough that I can come to terms with generating the content and navigation, but I'm not so happy with the prospect of the learning curve associated with XSLTs for getting professional-looking output, especially for the PDFs.

Are there experts amongst you who we could pay to create the necessary skin and .xsl files? I'd be happy to contribute it back to the project when it's done.

If that doesn't turn up results for me, then are there recommendations for where to look to get up to speed quickly? In particular:

1    How to make the best choice between DocBook, SDocbook, Forrest formats?

2    Modifying document2fo.xsl to modify the PDF output (fonts, section numbering, page breaks etc)

Or if I'm being unrealistic tell me now!

Regards -
Charles Palmer

Technical Director, DSP Design Ltd
email: charles@dspdesign.com
7 Tapton Park Innovation Centre, Brimington Rd, Chesterfield S41 0TZ, UK
ph: +44 (0) 1246 545 918

Re: Looking for someone to help with skins, stylesheets

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Charles Palmer wrote:
> team
>
> I've just started with Forrest, and it looks promising for my task of
> generating technical manuals for our products to publish as HTML and as
> PDF. I am happy enough that I can come to terms with generating the
> content and navigation, but I'm not so happy with the prospect of the
> learning curve associated with XSLTs for getting professional-looking
> output, especially for the PDFs.
>
> Are there experts amongst you who we could pay to create the necessary
> skin and .xsl files?

Usually professional skins for Forrest require two skills: designer and
programmer. I'd be happy to do the programming part, but I don't have
the graphical skills I'm afraid.

> I'd be happy to contribute it back to the project when it's done.

This is excellent.

> If that doesn't turn up results for me, then are there recommendations
> for where to look to get up to speed quickly? In particular:
>
> 1    How to make the best choice between DocBook, SDocbook, Forrest formats?

Go with the forrest format, version 2.0, it's the easiest.

> 2    Modifying document2fo.xsl to modify the PDF output (fonts, section
> numbering, page breaks etc)

Before the stylesheet you should create a sample .fo file that suits
your taste. Then changing document2fo should be easy, but it's a second
step.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Looking for someone to help with skins, stylesheets

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Charles Palmer wrote:

> team
>
> I've just started with Forrest, and it looks promising for my task of generating technical manuals for our products to publish as HTML and as PDF. I am happy enough that I can come to terms with generating the content and navigation, but I'm not so happy with the prospect of the learning curve associated with XSLTs for getting professional-looking output, especially for the PDFs.
>
> Are there experts amongst you who we could pay to create the necessary skin and .xsl files? I'd be happy to contribute it back to the project when it's done.
>
> If that doesn't turn up results for me, then are there recommendations for where to look to get up to speed quickly? In particular:
>
> 1    How to make the best choice between DocBook, SDocbook, Forrest formats?
>
> 2    Modifying document2fo.xsl to modify the PDF output (fonts, section numbering, page breaks etc)
>
> Or if I'm being unrealistic tell me now!

Are you using 0.5.1 or have you tried the latest SVN version?  There have
been some nice improvements to PDFs in the latest development version.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal