Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> on 2019/07/13 18:51:52 UTC

Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Hi All,

Do we have resources on the advantages of D&I to the Foundation and Tech
industry in general?

I know this has been touched in different threads all over the lists but I
wanted a separate thread to really understand the advantages.

Is it about under represented people participating and contributing their
opinions and experience to make a project, product or community better?

I am interesting in the real benefit of D&I to people who are well
represented. What will motivate an over represented person to do D&I work?
Is there a logical advantage or benefit to them?

Sorry, if this is off topic but I have not been able to answer it from the
perspective of an over represented person. Because, I keep asking myself
why will someone who enjoy privilege be willing to change things if they
dont see a benefit for them(self interest).

Thanks.
Awasum.

Re: Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

On 2019/07/13 18:51:52, Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am interesting in the real benefit of D&I to people who are well
> represented. What will motivate an over represented person to do D&I work?
> Is there a logical advantage or benefit to them?
>
> [...] Because, I keep asking myself
> why will someone who enjoy privilege be willing to change things if they
> dont see a benefit for them(self interest).

Hi Awasum,

I like the intent of your question, working on articulating the need of a more inclusive and diverse ASF is the goals I have for this committee in 2019.
(For context I started [1] & [2] JIRAs to collect input on fundamental information to do this).

You asked:

> Do we have resources on the advantages of D&I to the Foundation and Tech
> industry in general?

The short answer is we do have some resources, and Justin, Myrle and Niclas have shared examples and some data points. However we do not have hard scientific data and that's why we want to work on the three projects we have pitched to the board and president: 1) A survey to collect quantitative data, 2) a research to collect qualitative data and 3) a complimentary practical research (Outreachy) to compliment qualitative data.

My intention is that at the end of 2019 we can have this input to articulate the value of a more diverse and inclusive community to the Foundation and its projects.

In the meantime, I can share this deck [3], which has an articulated story on why I'm organizing an OSS contributor summit in Latin America with the objective to increase Latinx representation in OSS. I share the benefits for the ecosystem and the individuals. These benefits could be the arguments you're looking for.

I can also recommend you look at the work done by the folks in CHAOSS [5] who have started to lay the ground on measuring the impact of D&I effort in tech.

If you want to help build these resources, joining the committee would be a good idea.

Cheers,

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DI/issues/DI-5
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DI/issues/DI-6
[3] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1axdjBtPCOtWX-lwtMGGNez_xt7HPjLZUHXrEQY0Sato/edit#slide=id.g5d1e7ea227_7_0
[4] https://chaoss.community/

Re: Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:25 PM Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Yes, I am thinking about the China originating projects. My point was that
> the remain China-dominated for a long time, and it is not because they are
> unwelcoming to straight white males, nor that the straight white males are
> sensitive, or have issues getting to computers on campus that was suggested
> somewhere.
>
> My point is, and I think this is highly relevant to the D&I effort, is that
> I suspect that "project origin" is much more important than anything else.
> And practically all ASF projects originates outside the ASF, which is part
> of how we do things. And the question would then rise; Who starts projects
> elsewhere? What are the demographics there? Why do some of those get
> traction? Why do some come to ASF?

Hey Niclas,

I suspect you're right about project origin playing an important role in
the make up of a community.

Currently however both you and I are basing that assertion on anecdotal
evidence (and Justin is basing it on name-based guessing which is probably
slightly better).  I would like us to get a more precise view of our
current situation.  More details might bring a few surprises, and might
help us find potential paths to increase our diversity.  Exploring these
questions is the purpose of the survey re-design.  Are you interested in
participating?

And if we *are* right, this would make the incubator an important source of
overall diversity at the ASF, and would also make the projects among each
other a potential source of diversity within projects.  Knowing this could
help us decide which avenues to explore in the search for solutions.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Re: Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Yes, I am thinking about the China originating projects. My point was that
the remain China-dominated for a long time, and it is not because they are
unwelcoming to straight white males, nor that the straight white males are
sensitive, or have issues getting to computers on campus that was suggested
somewhere.

My point is, and I think this is highly relevant to the D&I effort, is that
I suspect that "project origin" is much more important than anything else.
And practically all ASF projects originates outside the ASF, which is part
of how we do things. And the question would then rise; Who starts projects
elsewhere? What are the demographics there? Why do some of those get
traction? Why do some come to ASF?

Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:11 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2019/07/14 06:11:46, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nicolas,
> >

> > A great example of this is ASCII. The developers (English
> > speakers in the US in the late 50's and early 60's) saw no real problem
> > with omitting ü, å, ø and ñ.
>
> Certainly some of that was likely the limitation of the technology itself,
> what with 8 bit chars. It was including the lowest common denominator that
> fit within a technology derived limit. Also, I you design something just
> for English speaking people, for example, and what you create becomes so
> popular that others wish to use it, I’m not sure if you can assign 20/20
> hindsight.

8 bits is plenty for something like ISO-8859-1 to support a large swathe of
these characters.

There was a small advantage in terms of character lookup size. Of course,
devices didn't actually need to display all the characters.

There was a small advantage in terms of the ability to use the high order
bit for control purposes. But that was minuscule.

On the other hand, I lived through the conversion and it was very painful.
I was working on machine translation, information retrieval and language
coding problems. We still have problems with all kinds of character sets
because the first solutions were so broken.

So yes, designing for just English speakers is a great example of having
limited goals because you have smaller diversity in your goal setters. And
it is a great example of how things would have been easier if we had
started with a broader awareness of what people needed.

Re: Advantages of Diversity and Inclusion

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Niclas,

Interesting that you mention projects like Kylin because I was a champion
and mentor for Kylin. And for Singa. In large part, my motivation in doing
so was to increase the diversity of projects in Apache.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Niclas,

Your comment to Ted below assumed ill-will, was redundant to your previous
comments, and seems likely to provoke an angry response.

dev@diversity is a working list intended for coordinating tasks such as
survey design, and Outreachy coordination.  I would ask two things of you:
a.) That you move your discussion about the justification of a diversity
effort at Apache to diversity@apache.org.
b.) That you make it a personal goal to engage constructively, with the
intention both to learn and to teach, and with the assumption that you are
able to do both.

If you want to better understand my first request: This is akin to my
asking you to move a question about how NetBeans is better than Eclipse to
the user@netbeans list.  diversity@apache.org is intended for questions and
requests by consumers and potential consumers of the work product of the
Diversity group.

Best Regards,
Myrle

BTW: I was the moderator who rejected your previous comment to private@.  I
have decided that was a mistake on my part.  Because the Diversity group
had not chosen to place you "on moderation," moderating your comment was an
overstep on my part.  If you *had* been "on moderation", I would have
rejected the comment below for the reasons I have described in this
e-mail.  However you would still have had the opportunity to rephrase your
e-mail and resend it.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Nicolas,