Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Madhukar Bhosale <bh...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/19 08:25:24 UTC

Session Token in URL

Hi,
It has been observed that Sensitive information within URLs is getting logged in various locations, including the user's browser, the web server, and any forward or reverse proxy servers between the two endpoints. URLs may also be displayed on-screen, bookmarked or emailed around by users. They may be disclosed to third parties via the Referer header when any off-site links are followed. Placing session tokens into the URL increases the risk that they will be captured by an attacker.
Is there any alternative mechanism for transmitting session tokens, such as HTTP cookies or hidden fields in forms that are submitted using the POST method.

Regards
Madhukar Bhosale

Re: Session Token in URL

Posted by gabriel sztejnworcel <ga...@gmail.com>.

connections, why not use cookies? If you set a cookie after login, it will
be sent with the WebSocket connection request.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Re: Session Token in URL

Re: Session Token in URL

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 19, 2020, 13:46 Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>
wrote:

> Is logging really a concern if you use https and avoid any proxy that
> terminates (MitM)? Of course you can argue about the nginx or similar you
> put in front of Guacamole, but if both components are administrated by the
> same folks you know whom to trust or fire anyway..

Indeed, it's not that significant a concern, just valid one. It is
generally accepted as a bad practice. If possible to avoid, we should do so.

I created an issue for this in JIRA a few months ago, and have been doing
some occasional work in that regard:

- Mike

AW: Session Token in URL

Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>.
Is logging really a concern if you use https and avoid any proxy that terminates (MitM)? Of course you can argue about the nginx or similar you put in front of Guacamole, but if both components are administrated by the same folks you know whom to trust or fire anyway..

Regards, Joachim

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Re: Session Token in URL

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
What you want is what we do, we built a provisioning system that handles Just
In time (JIT) tokens and they expire after session is terminated, preventing
students from book marking the url.  This is using the POST action with
Tomcat. Search for my posts in this forum and you will find your solution.

-----