Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by robparrott <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/04 19:35:20 UTC

web-console with non-embedded broker

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to setup the ActiveMQ web-console with an ActiveMQ broker that is
embedded in another application. I've been unable to get this setup working
at all.

The version of ActiveMQ is 4.1 all around. I'm using Java 1.5 on MacOS X
10.4, and on linux.

The embedded Active MQ browser ia at port 61616 on localhost, has name
"OMS_BROKER", and has the JMX console enabled.

I've modified the activemq-4.1/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF
files to avoid the collision in port number with the embedded borker in the
web-console app as well. (I found that changing the target/* files had no
effect when tarting with "mvn jetty:run").

In the activemq.xml config file here,

  1) I've set useJmx="false" broker element to avoid conflicts with the
other broker & JMX
  2) changed the openwire transport port to 61617 to avoid conflicts with
61616 of the embedded broker
  3) set a network connecter to

         <networkConnector name="OMS_BROKER"
uri="static://(tcp://localhost:61616)" failover="true"/>

     in addition to the multicast connector.

I've also turned off the transportConnectors altogether, by commenting out
that section of the activemq.xml

While these changes allow the web-console to start, I cannot browse the
embedded Broker. I see no Topics or queues available.

Can someone advise me on how to use the web-console to browse a broker
besides the one started by the web-console application?

It seems that the web-console would have limitied utility without this
ability, and documentation of the procedure.

Thanks for any insight you might provide.

rob

Re: [Spam: 5.0] web-console with non-embedded broker

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, bjornwang <bj...@creuna.no> wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> Any progress on this issue yet?

No - wanna dive in and help?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [Spam: 5.0] web-console with non-embedded broker

Posted by bjornwang <bj...@creuna.no>.
Hello James,

Any progress on this issue yet?

Re: web-console with non-embedded broker

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/07, robparrott <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI James,
>
> Can you describe in "lite" detail what would be needed to perform this
> refactoring? What classes, etc.?

I took a look at my crappy code and was so embarrassed I've done most
of the refactoring for you :). Its now very nearly working for remote
brokers - the class JMXBrokerFacade just needs some lurve to get it
working. By all means have a tinker and see if you can get it working
(it just needs to create the JMX connector really, so its really
close) - I'll see if I can get time to get it working later this week
if not.

--

James
-------

Posted by robparrott <ro...@gmail.com>.
HI James,

Can you describe in "lite" detail what would be needed to perform this
refactoring? What classes, etc.?

This would help me (and others, I suppose) assess whether I might take it
on.

thanks,
rob

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Currently the Web Console is directly using the embedded broker (as it
was the simplest way to get started); we'd need to do a bit of
refactoring to be able to use the web console to connect to a remote
broker over JMX. It shouldn't be too hard to do if anyone fancies
taking a stab at a patch?

http://activemq.apache.org/contributing.html

On 2/4/07, robparrott <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to setup the ActiveMQ web-console with an ActiveMQ broker that is
> embedded in another application. I've been unable to get this setup working
> at all.
>
> The version of ActiveMQ is 4.1 all around. I'm using Java 1.5 on MacOS X
> 10.4, and on linux.
>
> The embedded Active MQ browser ia at port 61616 on localhost, has name
> "OMS_BROKER", and has the JMX console enabled.
>
> I've modified the activemq-4.1/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF
> files to avoid the collision in port number with the embedded borker in the
> web-console app as well. (I found that changing the target/* files had no
> effect when tarting with "mvn jetty:run").
>
> In the activemq.xml config file here,
>
>   1) I've set useJmx="false" broker element to avoid conflicts with the
> other broker & JMX
>   2) changed the openwire transport port to 61617 to avoid conflicts with
> 61616 of the embedded broker
>   3) set a network connecter to
>
>          <networkConnector name="OMS_BROKER"
> uri="static://(tcp://localhost:61616)" failover="true"/>
>
>      in addition to the multicast connector.
>
> I've also turned off the transportConnectors altogether, by commenting out
> that section of the activemq.xml
>
> While these changes allow the web-console to start, I cannot browse the
> embedded Broker. I see no Topics or queues available.
>
> Can someone advise me on how to use the web-console to browse a broker
> besides the one started by the web-console application?
>
> It seems that the web-console would have limitied utility without this
> ability, and documentation of the procedure.
>
> Thanks for any insight you might provide.
>

> rob

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/