Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Erik Erlandson <ee...@redhat.com> on 2018/08/15 19:33:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] SparkR support on k8s back-end for Spark 2.4

The SparkR support PR is finished, along with integration testing, however
Shane has requested that the integration testing not be enabled until after
the 2.4 release because it requires the OS updates he wants to test *after*
the release.

The integration testing can be run locally, and so the question at hand is:
would the PMC be willing to consider inclusion of the SparkR for 2.4, based
on local verification of the testing? The PySpark PR was merged under
similar circumstances: the testing was verified locally and the PR was
merged before the testing was enabled for jenkins.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: [DISCUSS] SparkR support on k8s back-end for Spark 2.4

Posted by Ilan Filonenko <if...@cornell.edu>.
The SparkR support PR includes integration testing that can be tested on a
local Minikube instance by merely running the distribution with appropriate
flags (--r) and running the integration-tests similarly to as you would on
any k8s test. Maybe some others could locally test this, if there is any
hesitation. I, for one, don't see a problem with merging as is and having
the Jenkins build be configured for R distribution support via the Ubuntu
update when Shane gets to it, similar to as we did for PySpark. The PR can
be found here <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/21584>.

Furthermore, I am wondering if there is any desire to ensure SparkR support
(for k8s) is merged by 2.4 by the community, and if so, then maybe merging
this without the Jenkins build seems even more appropriate.

Best,
Ilan Filonenko

Posted by Ilan Filonenko <if...@cornell.edu>.
Correct, the OS change and updates would require more testing, from what
Shane has told me, and could potentially surface some issue that could
delay a major release.

So yes, the release manager would need to run the tests manually and after
the release we would switch to a fully integrated Jenkins that would run
those same tests on the newly updated workers.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
I fully support merging that SparkR support on k8s.

If Ilan and other are willing to manually validate the RC I’m happy to voucher for it (I’m not 100% sure i have capacity to test it that way but certainly will try)

Also +1 on revisiting Jenkins builds. tbh I’m not sure we depend on them too much during the release process due to reason Marcelo listed, for the last 4+ releases...

________________________________
Posted by Ilan Filonenko <if...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Erik Erlandson <ee...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:35 PM, shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> in fact, i don't see us getting rid of all of the centos machines until EOY
> (see my above comment, re docs, release etc).  these are the builds that
> will remain on centos for the near future:
> https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-release/
> https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-packaging/
> https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-docs/

What is the current purpose of these builds?

- spark-release hasn't been triggered in a long time.
- spark-packaging seems to have been failing miserably for the last 10 months.

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> wrote:

> What's the reason we don't want to do the OS updates right now? Is it due
> to the unpredictability of potential issues that might happen and end up
> delaying 2.4 release?
>
> that is exactly it...  i haven't had a chance to test everything (esp
docs, release builds, etc), and since there have been many changes pushed
to various branches, some builds are failing in different ways on centos vs
ubuntu.  things are very, very fluid right now.

we are SUPER close to being able to move the vast majority of builds to
ubuntu, but even after than happens there will almost definitely be a
non-zero amount of babysitting and debugging that needs to happen.  all of
that babysitting and debugging would potentially delay the 2.4 cut even
more.

in fact, i don't see us getting rid of all of the centos machines until EOY
(see my above comment, re docs, release etc).  these are the builds that
will remain on centos for the near future:
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-release/
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-packaging/
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-docs/

these all run on amp-jenkins-worker-01, which will remain untouched.

HOWEVER:

i'm 99%+ certain that i can port the PRB builder over to ubuntu w/a pared
down python 3.5 installation.  i have a build running now (
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/RISELab%20Infra/job/ubuntuSparkPRB/74/)
and if it behaves appropriately (meaning testing all the right things
w/py35), i should be able to get two more non-critical centos build nodes
reinstalled w/ubuntu and deployed by EOW.  this will give us enough jenkins
executors and allow PRB throughput to not decrease.

if the dev community is ok w/taking this plunge, i will make it happen.

shane (who wants everyone to remember that it's just little old me running
this...  not a team of people)  ;)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.