Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Aitor Osa Larrabe <ai...@alumni.mondragon.edu> on 2017/03/06 08:26:14 UTC

Integration of CP-ABE - Apache Hadoop & Ranger

Dear Apache Hadoop community,

My name is Aitor Osa and I'm currently working in the Telematics group of
Mondragon Unibertsitatea, Mondragon university.

As part of our research, we are trying to implement CP-ABE
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.
475.2538&rep=rep1&type=pdf) crypto cipher on top of Apache Hadoop. ABE
stands for Attribute-based encryption and is a type of public-key
encryption in which a secret key of a user and the cyphertext are dependent
upon attributes. In this case, we are trying to use CP-ABE, which has been
already implemented by Bethencourt et al. as a toolkit
(http://hms.isi.jhu.edu/acsc/cpabe/). We have already brought it to
Java
using JNI.

Our main objective is to make a Hadoop HDFS data access control solution
based on CP-ABE and to integrate it into Apache Ranger, which will come
later.

We have been looking to AES cipher suite implementation on Hadoop and we
have a vague idea about the available CipherSuite and CryptoCodecs classes
and configuration files. However, we are missing some good advice about
which java classes, Hadoop files we should care about.

We would appreciate any help in this sense. Some clarification,
documentation or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Best regards,

Aitor Osa.