Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> on 2003/10/15 12:18:08 UTC

JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS in catalina

Hi,

Should we set JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS to a default value of
$CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed in the startup scripts?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>

>>And no the who's who ;)
>>
>>I'd like to know who could works on jk2 evolution.
>>

> Until December is very unlikely I'll have any free time.
>

> I would like to help with the unix domain channel and JNI - but
> it'll be very limitted... Sorry.

You're more than welcome of course Costin.

The more I look in jk2, the more I like the 'object' oriented
methods of jk2 :-)

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:

> And no the who's who ;)
>
> I'd like to know who could works on jk2 evolution.

Until December is very unlikely I'll have any free time.

I would like to help with the unix domain channel and JNI - but
it'll be very limitted... Sorry.

Costin

Re: New builds ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
David Rees wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> David Rees wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using 4.1.29 for development without any issues for a few
>>> days now.  Just one minor annoyance, I get this message twice when
>>> starting
>>> Tomcat up: "CoyoteConnector Coyote can't register jmx for protocol"
>>

>> Very good point. I'll tag new 4.1.30 and 5.0.14 builds tomorrow.
>> Hopefully more people will vote next time :)
>

> Anyone have any idea on what's causing that message from Coyote to end
> up in the cataline log file?

Well, we switched to Coyote from TC 5, so this adds a requirement on
JMX. Apparently, it does work even if JMX isn't there (I'm a bit surprised).

Remy

Re: New builds ?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
>> I've been using 4.1.29 for development without any issues for a few
>> days now.  Just one minor annoyance, I get this message twice when
>> starting
>> Tomcat up: "CoyoteConnector Coyote can't register jmx for protocol"
>
> Very good point. I'll tag new 4.1.30 and 5.0.14 builds tomorrow.
> Hopefully more people will vote next time :)

Anyone have any idea on what's causing that message from Coyote to end
up in the cataline log file?

-Dave

Logs folder not present in 5.0.12 (Was: Re: New builds ?)

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Remy:

I downloaded 5.0.12 yesterday and tried it on Linux.

I got the following error
touch: creating `/root/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12/logs/catalina.out': No such file
or directory
/root/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12/bin/catalina.sh: line 231:
/root/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12/logs/catalina.out: No such file or directory

I was able to remedy this by creating the "logs" folder myself. Could you fix
this in the next release ?

-- Sriram

Re: New builds ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
David Rees wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> So, what do we do with 4.1.28 ? AFAIK, no significant issue has been
>> found with this build, with minor tweaks being made since then in the
>> connectors.
>> Is a 4.1.29 needed, or is it simply people forgot about that build ?
>>
>> Comments ?
>

> I've been using 4.1.29 for development without any issues for a few days
> now.  Just one minor annoyance, I get this message twice when starting
> Tomcat up: "CoyoteConnector Coyote can't register jmx for protocol"
>
> Now that new versions of commons dbcp and pool have been released,
> upgrading to the latest may be a good idea and an excuse to retag
> 4.1.30.  I don't think you'll get many testers until it's called beta,
> though.
>
> Other than that, looks good!

Very good point. I'll tag new 4.1.30 and 5.0.14 builds tomorrow.
Hopefully more people will vote next time :)

Rémy

Re: New builds ?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.

Re: New builds ?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
On Fri, October 24, 2003 1at 1:27 am, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>> OTOH, there has been a few useful fixes and tweaks since 5.0.13 in the
>> 5.0 branch, so I'll tag a new 5.0.14 at the end of the week (these .13
>> builds are all cursed :-D).
>
> Ok, tomorrow or Sunday :) (I've been a bit sick this week, so I'm slow)

Any word?  ;-)

-Dave

Re: New builds ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> So, what do we do with 4.1.28 ? AFAIK, no significant issue has been
> found with this build, with minor tweaks being made since then in the
> connectors.
> Is a 4.1.29 needed, or is it simply people forgot about that build ?
>
> OTOH, there has been a few useful fixes and tweaks since 5.0.13 in the
> 5.0 branch, so I'll tag a new 5.0.14 at the end of the week (these .13
> builds are all cursed :-D).

Ok, tomorrow or Sunday :) (I've been a bit sick this week, so I'm slow)

- 5.0.14 with pool & DBCP 1.1 (and the latest fixes); I'm going to
bundle the JSR 160 RI (the license is the same as the JMX 1.2 RI), and
I'll try to add support for it using a new server listener.

- 4.1.29 also with pool & DBCP 1.1; ideally, I'll have time to add
additional connector attributes (for compression configuration, among
other things).

Remy

New builds ?

RE: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

> From: Henri Gomez
>

> Mladen Turk wrote:
>

> >>From: Bill Barker
> >>
> >>I could get on-board with this, after Mladen's suggestion to
> >>change the return-type of most methods to jk_status_t.
> >>Without this, mod_jk2 is hopelessly broken (and I'll contunue
> >>to ignore it :).
> >>

> > It's to apr_status_t ;-).
> > Sill, takes a bit more time then I thought It would.
> > Not just to return APR_SUCCESS, but to return the meaningful error
> > codes that can be logged.
> >
> > So day or two...
>
> So it will be apr_status_t ?

Yes, It is IMO the most straighforward.
If the APR API call fails the calee will return the same error code,
without the need to reinvent our own error codes.
The jk2 specific error codes will beging from
APR_OS_START_USERERR + 1.

MT.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

>>From: Bill Barker
>>
>>I could get on-board with this, after Mladen's suggestion to
>>change the return-type of most methods to jk_status_t.
>>Without this, mod_jk2 is hopelessly broken (and I'll contunue
>>to ignore it :).
>>

> It's to apr_status_t ;-).
> Sill, takes a bit more time then I thought It would.
> Not just to return APR_SUCCESS, but to return the meaningful
> error codes that can be logged.
>
> So day or two...

So it will be apr_status_t ?

RE: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@more.net>.
+1

I can help out.

This is a significant change for a minor revision to 2.0.4,
perhaps we should bump it to 2.1 or even 3.0?

Glenn

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
jean-frederic clere wrote:

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>

>>> Done. The machine where it runs is stable but inside FSC firmwall.
>>

>> Could we copy it somewhere on apache.org to have it mirrored ?
>

> I have copied and adapted it to my account in minotaur.

So we'll have an URL available ?

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

hasinput method has been created ;)

RE: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

Ok,

You should know what apr call should be used to mimic select isn't it ?

jk2/tc4/jkstatus problems ;(

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Hi

I could get jkstatus via :

http://mysystem/jkstatus/

But it failed to find

http://mysystem/jkstatus/jkstatus?cfgOrig=1
http://mysystem/jkstatus/jkstatus?cfgParsed=1
http://mysystem/jkstatus/jkstatus?scoreboard=1

My original conf was :

[status:]
info=Status worker, displays runtime informations

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
info=Display status information and checks the config file for changes.
group=status:
debug=10

I add to add the following in workers2.properties to make it works :

[uri:/jkstatus/jkstatus]
info=Display status information and checks the config file for changes.
group=status:
debug=10

BTW, I could'nt get access from TC 4.1.x since this one call :

http://mysystem:80/jkstatus?lst=*
http://mysystem:80/jkstatus?dmp=*

What's the problem ?

RE: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

Exactly ...

>>And no the who's who ;)
>>
>>I'd like to know who could works on jk2 evolution.
>>

> +1

Thanks.

RE: jk2 evolution plan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

jk2 evolution plan

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> Now that jk seems stabilized a bit, should we focalize on jk2 ?
>
> For instance I added some features to jk (ping/pong) which should be
> ported to jk2.
>
> Also I wonder if APR is mandatory for jk2.
>
> I'd like to use APR as a facade to all Operating System calls.
>
> The goal is to hide all the complexity of Windows, iSeries,
> differents Unix implementations behind APR which is now stable
> and well diffused.
>
> As such it will be +1 to make APR mandatory and start modifying jk2, to
> make it use only APR call.

+1

APR is released and stable - no reason not to do that.

Costin

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it would be possible, using a new rule, to allow system
> properties inside server.xml (and possibly elsewhere) for attribute
> values. This is the same as what is being done by Ant in its build
> scripts. This would add an additional degree of configurability to Tomcat.
> Actually, I wonder why this feature is not available in the digester
> itself (I really got used to that feature over the years by using Ant).
>
> Comments ?

+1, of course.

Costin

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it would be possible, using a new rule, to allow system
> properties inside server.xml (and possibly elsewhere) for attribute
> values. This is the same as what is being done by Ant in its build
> scripts. This would add an additional degree of configurability to
> Tomcat.

Makes sense to me.

> Actually, I wonder why this feature is not available in the digester
> itself (I really got used to that feature over the years by using Ant).

Because nobody ever asked, or contributed a patch to make it so :-).

> Comments ?
>
> Remy

Craig

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat a écrit :

>>> Possibly. Basically, if you have a "foo.bar" sys property, you can
>>> put "${foo.bar}" in server.xml, and it will be replaced with the
>>> property value (like in Ant). I didn't know this was present in 3.3.
>>

>> Yes it was in TC 3.3.1 and you could also set the properties in the
>> command line if I recall well ;)
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-ug.html#configuring_tomcat

>> In Tomcat 3.3.1, each attribute value may use the ant-style variable
>> substitution by using "${variable}" in the attribute string, i.e.
>> attribute="text${variable}text".
>

> Let me guess. James did code all that stuff aeons ago, right ? :-D

James ?

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

> >> Possibly. Basically, if you have a "foo.bar" sys property, you can put
> >> "${foo.bar}" in server.xml, and it will be replaced with the property
> >> value (like in Ant). I didn't know this was present in 3.3.
> >

> > Yes it was in TC 3.3.1 and you could also set the properties in the
> > command line if I recall well ;)

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-ug.html#configuring_t
omcat

> > In Tomcat 3.3.1, each attribute value may use the ant-style variable
> > substitution by using "${variable}" in the attribute string, i.e.
> > attribute="text${variable}text".
>
> Let me guess. James did code all that stuff aeons ago, right ? :-D

Well, the aeons ago part is right ;-).  But it was the other ant person
(Costin).

The guts of the 3.3 replacement is
o.a.t.u.IntrospectionUtils.replaceProperties, so most of the code is already
in Tomcat 5.

Re: [5.0] No sessions purged in Context with backgroundProcessorDelay > 0?

Posted by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for confirming, Remy!

I'll make these changes.

Jan

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM>.
[...]

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Jan

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I think it would be possible, using a new rule, to allow system
> properties inside server.xml (and possibly elsewhere) for attribute
> values. This is the same as what is being done by Ant in its build
> scripts. This would add an additional degree of configurability to Tomcat.
> Actually, I wonder why this feature is not available in the digester
> itself (I really got used to that feature over the years by using Ant).

Do you speak about the ${xxx} properties as present in Tomcat 3.3.x ?

A big +1

Re: [5.0] System properties in server.xml (and elsewhere)

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
+0 (I'd be +1 if I could actually be of help - but love the idea)

-Tim

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
+1 to have a version of mod_jk rewritten to use APR for all OS stuff

It would be best to use the version of APR which is distributed with
the current Apache 2 release so that there are no conflicts when using
mod_jk with Apache 2.

Requiring APR would allow using a global connection pool for the socket
connections to Tomcat.  And allow more sophisticated load balancing when
you can have access to global information about how each pool of connectors
to Tomcat is performing.

If this involves significant changes to the code we might want to bump
the major version to jk3.

We will still need at least one more release of mod_jk 1.2 for the
minor changes committed since the 1.2.5 release.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
jean-frederic clere a écrit :

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Mladen Turk a écrit :
>>
>>> +1 to use the APR as mandatory for the mod_jk.
>>> You can rename it to the mod_jk2 after that easily :-)
>>

>> Heu, the idea is to make jk2 (native2) apr mandatory.
>>
>> We'll keep jk as it is today.
>>
>> * the plan
>>
>> - update jk2 (native2) to use APR only
>>
>> - port jk add-ons like ping/pong to jk2
>>
>> - test, test and re-test
>>
>> - mark jk as deprecated
>>

>> The rule will be to use the latest APR release, ie the one which goes
>> with the latest Apache 2.0 release.
>>
>> We could handle more recent APR via :
>>
>> /* deprecated with apr 0.9.3 */
>> #include "apr_version.h"
>> #if (APR_MAJOR_VERSION == 0) && \
>>     (APR_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && \
>>     (APR_PATCH_VERSION < 3)
>> #define apr_filepath_name_get apr_filename_of_pathname
>> #endif
>>

>> It will make jk2 ideally suited for Apache 2, and since we could find
>> apr.dll for Windows Box, it should be usable with IIS (Domino ?).
>>
>> I'd like to have comments from Nacho, JF Clere and Mike Anderson
>> who are working of jk on others platforms/webservers.
>

> Using APR is a good idea but that is a lot of work. I have APR on all my
> "strange" platforms so no problem for me :-)

iSeries is another quite exotic platform even if Rochester friends does
a great job on Apache 2.0 integration on OS/400 ;)

> I was quite unhappy with the -1 on APR/mod_webapp but all the problems
> of APR years ago have contribued to make mod_webapp deprecated...

At this time there wasn't an official APR release or official Apache 2
release, and webapp was using APR from HEAD CVS (with frequent changes).
Now the situation is stabilized since major Linux distributions have
Apache 2.0 bundled by default, so APR is allready available.

> We have to be carefull with the threads... Specialy if we want to add
> the feature to (re)start Tomcat automaticly from httpd.

We should, allways, be very carefull with threads ;)

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]

The AF_UNIX sockets feature needs to have a C part in the Tomcat and that brings
problems similar to the JNI problems.

RE: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

OK.

> - mark jk as deprecated

OK.

> The rule will be to use the latest APR release, ie the one
> which goes with the latest Apache 2.0 release.
>
> We could handle more recent APR via :
>
> /* deprecated with apr 0.9.3 */
> #include "apr_version.h"
> #if (APR_MAJOR_VERSION == 0) && \
>      (APR_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && \
>      (APR_PATCH_VERSION < 3)
> #define apr_filepath_name_get apr_filename_of_pathname
> #endif

Why would you do that?
Just use the post 0.9.3 API.

> It will make jk2 ideally suited for Apache 2, and since we
> could find apr.dll for Windows Box, it should be usable with
> IIS (Domino ?).

MT.

Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.