Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marco Piovesana <pi...@esteco.com> on 2020/01/05 10:37:35 UTC

online backup of segment store repository

Hi all,
I'm using Oak with a Segment node store and I'm trying to create a backup
without having to stop the repository.
I tried to follow the documentation
<https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/nodestore/segment/overview.html#backup>,
but when I run the backup with oak-run I get the error:
Unable to load index of file data00546a.tar: Unrecognized magic number

If I run the backup after shutting down the repository everything works
fine, so I guess oak-run can't be used for the online backup.

Looking at what others are doing, I found an article
<https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/backup-and-restore.html#OnlineBackup>
about Adobe AEM where, if I'm not mistaken, they basically do a copy of the
file system in multiple steps.
My question is, what is the suggested way to run an online backup for a
segment store repository?

Marco.

Re: online backup of segment store repository

Posted by Marco Piovesana <pi...@esteco.com>.
Can someone confirm that the backup is expected to fail when the process is
executed while the repository is running?

Marco.