Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Kerns, Bob" <Bo...@firepond.com> on 2002/02/04 18:05:14 UTC

While I basically support what you're doing, and doing it unilaterally, I do
have one objection.

Doing this *unannounced* is a royal pain for those of us depending on email
filters to keep things halfway managable. I have little capacity to deal
with an unexpected flood of email going to the wrong place!

That's in conflict with why you did it unilaterally, of course. The best
solution I've been able to think of is:
1) Create the list.
2) Announce (over the new list) that in X days (X in the range of 1-3), the
list will be active.
3) Request a moritorium (over both old and new lists) on the topics until
the new list is active.
4) Temporarily set the list to require moderator approval (assuming the list
tools allow that mode).
5) Activate the new list at the announced time.

A brief moritorium probably would benefit the quality of the discussion as
well, perhaps enough to make up for the inconvenience of a moritorium.

[Obviously, this is the right list for this suggestion.... ;=]

> I'm actually not sure that I have a complaint, I'm just curious if I
> missed it or something. Was this idea discussed somewhere?

Nope.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Kerns, Bob wrote:
> While I basically support what you're doing, and doing it unilaterally, I do
> have one objection.
>
> Doing this *unannounced* is a royal pain for those of us depending on email
> filters to keep things halfway managable. I have little capacity to deal
> with an unexpected flood of email going to the wrong place!
>
> That's in conflict with why you did it unilaterally, of course. The best
> solution I've been able to think of is:
> 1) Create the list.
> 2) Announce (over the new list) that in X days (X in the range of 1-3), the
> list will be active.
> 3) Request a moritorium (over both old and new lists) on the topics until
> the new list is active.
> 4) Temporarily set the list to require moderator approval (assuming the list
> tools allow that mode).
> 5) Activate the new list at the announced time.
>
> A brief moritorium probably would benefit the quality of the discussion as
> well, perhaps enough to make up for the inconvenience of a moritorium.
>
> [Obviously, this is the right list for this suggestion.... ;=]

I agree whole-heartedly with this.  And I didn't ask to be subscribed to this
list either!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin