Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sachin Aggarwal <di...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/19 14:28:39 UTC

parameters to decide solr memory consumption

hello,

need help regarding how  solr stores the indexes i was reading a article
that says solr also stores the indexes in same format as explained in
appendix B of  lucene in action   is it true

and what parameters do i need to focus on while estimating the memory used
by my use case

as i have table like (userid, username, usertime, userlocation, userphn,
timestamp, address)
what i believe in my case cardinality of some fields like gender and
location userphnmodel will be very less will that influence

any links to read further will b appreciated.

--

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Aggarwal
7760502772

Re: parameters to decide solr memory consumption

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
No, that's 255 bytes/record. Also, any time you store a field, the
raw data is preserved in the *.fdt and *.fdx files. If you're thinking
about RAM requirements, you must subtract the amount of data
in those files from the total, as a start. This might help:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_5_0/fileformats.html

Best
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This is really difficult to answer because there are so many variables;
the number of unique terms, whether you store fields or not (which is
really unrelated to memory consumption during searching), etc, etc,
etc. So even trying the index and just looking at the index directory
won't tell you much about memory consumption.

And memory use has been dramatically improved in the 4.x code line, so
anything we can say is actually wrong.

Not to mention that your particular use of caches (filterCache, queryResultCache
etc) will change during runtime.

I'm afraid you'll just have to try it and see.

Yes, LIA is accurate...

Best
Erick