Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alex Algard <al...@sounddomain.com> on 2000/07/26 23:07:27 UTC

very strange bug w/ tainting

We have been working with some code on a single-process mod_perl test server
for several weeks now, and it has been running fine. We just copied the code
onto a production machine, and we are now seeing the following error appear
on an inconsistent basis:

Insecure dependency in require while running with -T switch at
/script_dir/script.pl line 13.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /script_dir/script.pl line 13.

Obviously we have taint checking enabled, and over 90% of the time the code
seems to execute fine; but for whatever reason, we are getting this error
occasionally. We are using mod_perl 1.24 (with Registry) and Apache 1.3.12
on Linux 2.2.14. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can track down the
problem? (Perl warnings don't seem to provide any additional info)

The code that seems to be triggering the error:
use ModuleName qw(:vars :subs);

... and the module itself:

package ModuleName;

use strict;
use vars qw (@ISA @EXPORT @EXPORT_OK %EXPORT_TAGS $VERSION);
use Exporter;
$VERSION = 1.00;
@ISA = qw(Exporter);

@EXPORT = qw ();
@EXPORT_OK      = qw();
%EXPORT_TAGS    = (
        vars => [qw($var1 $var2)],
        subs => [qw(Func1 Func2)],
);

Exporter::export_ok_tags('vars');
Exporter::export_ok_tags('subs');

use OtherModule1 qw (:vars);
use OtherModule2 qw (:vars :subs);

use vars qw($var1 $var2);

[some code that doesn't do much; certainly nothing that would raise taint
errors...]

Thanks,
Alex
Alex