Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com> on 2000/11/02 23:50:38 UTC

Re: Xalan-j 1.2:
Larry Tan wrote:

> Greetings all!  My XSL stylesheet is based upon an "XHTML transitional"
> compliant HTML document.  If I designate output method="html", I notice the
> resulting HTML has been "denormalized."  For example, <br /> becomes <br>.
> I designate the appropriate doctype-public "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN", but that appears to have no effect upon how the HTML is
> rendered.  Are there any work-arounds?  Thanks.
>
>         Larry

Larry  -- This is controlled by the method attribute of your xsl:output
element.  See http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-HTML-Output-Method
Xalan is doing what you're telling it to do, just not what you want it
to do!  It doesn't look at doctype-public or doctype-system to decide
how to form empty elements.

Try method="xml" and see if that is what you're looking for.

Gary