Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yuriy Stul <yu...@bladefusion.com> on 2003/10/01 08:23:42 UTC

Tomcat 3.3, SSL and short handshake

Hello,
I have Tomcat 3.3 with activated SSL.

Everything works fine (HTTP, HTTPS).

A problem is: when user connects with server via Microsoft Internet
Explorer then Tomcat throws exception (SSL socket, socket was closed)
but continues to work.

I think I found problem - IE does two handshakes - usual (long and
full), then closes socket and does short handshake (it is normally
according to SSL protocol).

In Tomcat 4.0.4 I didn't see this problem.

My question is how to prevent output of this exception in Tomcat 3.3?

Thanks in advance.

=====================
Yuriy

Re: Tomcat 3.3, SSL and short handshake

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Yuriy Stul" <yu...@bladefusion.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have Tomcat 3.3 with activated SSL.
>
> Everything works fine (HTTP, HTTPS).
>
> A problem is: when user connects with server via Microsoft Internet
> Explorer then Tomcat throws exception (SSL socket, socket was closed)
> but continues to work.
>
> I think I found problem - IE does two handshakes - usual (long and
> full), then closes socket and does short handshake (it is normally
> according to SSL protocol).
>
> In Tomcat 4.0.4 I didn't see this problem.
>
> My question is how to prevent output of this exception in Tomcat 3.3?

The best way is probably to use the CoyoteConnector2 from Tomcat 3.3.2-dev
(aka nightly).  This has the best SSL support in the Tomcat 3 line (it's
basically the same as the Tomcat 4.1.x code).