Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com> on 2012/03/01 15:05:27 UTC

Re: Using Apache v1

On 02/28/2012 02:28 PM, Chris Olive wrote:
> Last I checked, Apache was still providing patches and releases for the
> v1 base as well.

This is not the case. V1 has been "End of Lifed" and won't receive any
new releases, not even security related ones.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/

> There are a lot of people still using it, at least
> that is also my perception.

This is probably true. We are stilling using V1 with mod_perl as an app
server behind a V2 proxy. But we definitely have plans to change this
because of the security implications of running something that will
never receive any further security fixes.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP

Re: Using Apache v1

Posted by Chris Olive <ch...@TechnologEase.com>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 02:28 PM, Chris Olive wrote:
>
>> Last I checked, Apache was still providing patches and releases for the
>> v1 base as well.
>>

> This is not the case. V1 has been "End of Lifed" and won't receive any new
> releases, not even security related ones.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/**1.3/ <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/>

Time flies.  I obviously haven't checked in a while and now that you
mention it, I do recall getting a message stating such a while back.
 Thanks for the correction.  The v1 line of Apache was like a Chevy pickup
truck.  I know I even went back to it a couple of times over MP2 install
issues after v2 came out.

>  There are a lot of people still using it, at least
>> that is also my perception.
>>

> This is probably true. We are stilling using V1 with mod_perl as an app
> server behind a V2 proxy. But we definitely have plans to change this
> because of the security implications of running something that will never
> receive any further security fixes.

Good idea.

--
-----
*Chris Olive* | *Principal Consultant* | TechnologEase