Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/06/17 16:42:23 UTC

[APACHECON] Planning

OK, we've been alloted 2 days for Lucene:  http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ParticipatingPmcs
.  More later on info about the Calls for Presentations (CFPs)

Now we need to figure out what we are going to do.

Also, we need, asap, a description that satisfies:
<snip>
In order to get registration open ASAP, we need a promo-text for each
track. If you're copied on this email, I'll be nagging you for a text
for your project (listed below). If there's someone else I should nag
instead, please let me know. If you know who I should be nagging for
the last three tracks below, please let me know that too.

What should the promo text look like? We need 150-200 words, explaining
-what the track will cover (outline is fine, you don't need to have
abstracts and bios if you're not ready for that),
-who the intended audience is, and
-why people will want to attend/what they'll get out of it.

If you're planning something amazing, cool, new or exciting, we want
some information about that. Is there going to be a panel discussion
with some of the central project members telling people what to expect
in the widely-anticipated next release? How about a hands-on
masterclass with that really tricky part of the project that everyone
has trouble with? Or everything you need to know to decide which
technologies to use in which situations, and how to get the most out
of your limited resources?
</snip>

Re: [APACHECON] Planning

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
No, there is not yet.  There are proposals that people put in for the
CFP and then there are the ones people put up on the Wiki

I think we need to decide how we are going to decide.  Prior to that,
though, we need a short blurb that gets people excited about attending.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: [APACHECON] Planning

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hi Grant,

Re: [APACHECON] Planning

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [APACHECON] Planning

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
OK, here's a draft of a snippet for the planners of AC to go up on the
AC website.  This is due today.  It's at ~195 words right now, so if
you're editing, you will need to take away

<draft>

Apache Lucene is a robust and powerful, open source, search library
that powers search and discovery in thousands of websites and
applications ranging from large corporations like Apple Computer to
startups creating next generation intelligent applications.

Over the years, Lucene has grown beyond just a pure Java library into
a complete ecosystem of tools designed to help developers and
businesses solve critical information access problems.  Whether it’s
leveraging the power and simplicity of Apache Solr’s  search and
faceting capabilities or the large scale crawling features of Nutch,
chances are Lucene has a solution to meet your needs.  Moreover, with
the recent additions of Apache Tika (content extraction), Apache
Mahout (machine learning) and Apache Droids (crawling framework), as
well as ports of Lucene to languages like C, Python and .NET, it has
never been easier to build search capabilities into any application,
no matter the scale.

The Lucene Track at ApacheCon will feature a full slate of training,
talks and networking on the entire Lucene ecosystem.  A wide range of
talks will cover both the technical details and the business aspects
of Lucene.  Networking events will help connect you with the creators
of all the Lucene projects as well as other users.

</draft>