Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net> on 2007/03/24 13:38:55 UTC

Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Hi All,

As per the title, I'm seeing a pretty big rise this last week. So far
this week has seen the most spam I've ever had to deal with in over 10
years.

RBLs and SA are catching more, as is greylisting. That said, yesterday
saw double my 'usual' amount of spam. Though it's been creeping up all
week.

Is it just me or is this trend being reflected elsewhere?

Kind regards

Nigel

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by thekillerbean <tk...@anroet.com>.

Nigel Frankcom wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As per the title, I'm seeing a pretty big rise this last week. So far
> this week has seen the most spam I've ever had to deal with in over 10
> years.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Nigel

What I've noticed is very low scores for all SPAM that I'm receiving.  This
started about 4 days ago where SPAM scores are averaging 5 whereas in before
this the average was closer to 16.  So, it appears the spammers are trying
to thwart the bayes filters!!!  End users at my organization simply delete
the SPAM they receive so Bayes learning does not happen - I wonder how long
before Bayes adapts?

Cheers,
tkb.

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
For the last couple weeks spam is at historic lows here. I've had days
with well under 100 spams compared to about 300 a day at the rather long
time peak. It started dropping around late December.

(Of course, I expect Earthlink greylists the spam. And I am certain
that the DSL Extreme anti-spam cannot be turned off - I get zero
through them. We use fetchmail to drag down the email. I have three
accounts with 90 to 115 spams a day for the last couple weeks when
I used to get 300+ with two accounts. I do have a fourth account that
is NEVER used externally. I use it to send myself emails via automatic
forwarding if I need to. That account's name is as good as a password.
It gets NOTHING unless I send it something. {^_-})

{^_^}

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As per the title, I'm seeing a pretty big rise this last week. So far
> this week has seen the most spam I've ever had to deal with in over 10
> years.
>
> RBLs and SA are catching more, as is greylisting. That said, yesterday
> saw double my 'usual' amount of spam. Though it's been creeping up all
> week.
>
> Is it just me or is this trend being reflected elsewhere?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Nigel

These are my spamdrop folders for last week, and this past week....

Last week:

21M 2007-03-19 23:59 Mon
18M 2007-03-20 23:59 Tue
19M 2007-03-21 23:59 Wed
20M 2007-03-22 23:59 Thu
17M 2007-03-23 23:59 Fri
9M 2007-03-17 23:59 Sat
18M 2007-03-18 23:59 Sun

This week:

22M 2007-03-19 23:59 Mon
25M 2007-03-20 23:59 Tue
24M 2007-03-21 23:59 Wed
14M 2007-03-22 23:59 Thu
14M 2007-03-23 23:59 Fri
18M 2007-03-17 23:59 Sat
23M 2007-03-18 23:59 Sun

I guess it's been up a little.  I've got under around 70 users

-=Aubrey=-

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:58:59 -0400, Gene Heskett
<ge...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Saturday 24 March 2007, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>
>>As per the title, I'm seeing a pretty big rise this last week. So far
>>this week has seen the most spam I've ever had to deal with in over 10
>>years.
>>
>>RBLs and SA are catching more, as is greylisting. That said, yesterday
>>saw double my 'usual' amount of spam. Though it's been creeping up all
>>week.
>>
>>Is it just me or is this trend being reflected elsewhere?
>>
>>Kind regards
>>
>>Nigel
>
>It seems to be on the rise again here too. I've reduced the really high
>scorers though, if over 13 'stars', procmail sends it to /dev/null, and
>I'm about to lower that count again.  I started at 15, which cut it quite
>a bit. At this point, I haven't got a quarter to call somebody who might
>give a dump about false positives.

That one got me thinking... since the 1st of the year (to midnight GMT
last night) I've done 345,199 mails of which 15 were false negatives
and 42 were false positives; to my mind that's pretty good going.
Percentage wise they hardly even register (takes 4 decimal places
before they do).

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

RE: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by "Randal, Phil" <pr...@herefordshire.gov.uk>.
Botnets on the rise, apparently.

See http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2495

Phil

Posted by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org>.

--

Spam has tripled here-  and scores also seem to be falling-

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As per the title, I'm seeing a pretty big rise this last week. So far
> this week has seen the most spam I've ever had to deal with in over 10
> years.
>
> RBLs and SA are catching more, as is greylisting. That said, yesterday
> saw double my 'usual' amount of spam. Though it's been creeping up all
> week.
>
> Is it just me or is this trend being reflected elsewhere?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Nigel

Up this week as well. Scores are down from the norm as well.

James Rallo
Trusswood Inc.
James@Trusswood.Net
www.Trusswood.Net
Tele:  (321) 383-0366
Fax:   (321) 383-0362

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 05:48:49 -0700, "Loren Wilton"
<lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Spam's been down for me for the last week or two.  I suspect is it shifting
>patterns more than an actual change.
>
>        Loren

AKA - I'm getting all your spam now? :-D

Re: Anyone else seeing a large rise in spam?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.