Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/26 03:05:06 UTC

[users@httpd] 99% usage, constantly waiting?

Hello Apache-users!

I've got an apache server on an older RedHat box (RH 3.2.2-5). The
apache version is 2.0.40 (old, I know).

One process seems to keep going to 99% cpu usage. This persists
through reboots, restarts of the daemon, etc.  I've tried disabling
modules and I can't seem to get it to make a difference.

I've done an strace on the process and it shows only this, repeatedly:

select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
wait4(-1, 0xbffff200, WNOHANG|WUNTRACED, NULL) = 0

I can include a full log of strace output if required but like I
said.. it's just those two lines repeated.

I can upgrade the version of Apache (I probably should anyway...) but
I'm curious what's causing it and if there's any way to fix it other
than upgrading.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Muchos Gracias.

Justin Givens