Posted to test-dev@perl.apache.org by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com> on 2005/04/29 17:01:49 UTC

Test::Build requirement?

All my regression tests failed last night like this:

server localhost.localdomain:8541 listening (proxy_https_http)
[   info] adding source lib .../Apache-Test/lib to @INC
-withtestmore error: Test::Builder version 0.18_01 required--this is
only version 0.17 at .../Apache-Test/lib/Apache/Test.pm line 67.

it's pretty much a requirement for me that httpd-test works with stock
perl distributions; can this be fixed?

joe

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> So in the end, if a sufficiently recent version of Test-More is going to
>> be bundled in the svn repos, the test suite *will* work with e.g. the
>> RHEL3 perl 5.8.0 package?  If so, I'm happy...
>

> Yes, that's the idea.

yeah, I'm sorry - I both forgot about that then remembered over the weekend
but was away...

--Geoff

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:15:16PM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >I _think_ I took care of it.  let me know if we're not ok now.
>
> Thanks Geoff :0)

Yup, thanks, it works now.

> >is it a really big deal to require Test::More?  from a developer standpoint
> >I don't think it is, since Test::More is pretty much the defacto testing
> >standard in the perl world.  but maybe distribtion folks have different
> >thoughts.  if so, if you are given enough time (like, say, we won't require
> >T::M for a few months) is that helpful or sufficient?
>
> What seems to be the problem? We have already decided to bundle Test-More.
> I didn't have a chance to do that yet in that -unstable branch. I was
> planning to do it later. It just wasn't supposed to be committed yet to
> the main branch, was a slip on my side, as I didn't re-check out after
> switching externals :(

So in the end, if a sufficiently recent version of Test-More is going to
be bundled in the svn repos, the test suite *will* work with e.g. the
RHEL3 perl 5.8.0 package?  If so, I'm happy...

Regards,

joe

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Joe Orton wrote:
>
>>All my regression tests failed last night like this:

>>server localhost.localdomain:8541 listening (proxy_https_http)
>>[   info] adding source lib .../Apache-Test/lib to @INC
>>-withtestmore error: Test::Builder version 0.18_01 required--this is
>>only version 0.17 at .../Apache-Test/lib/Apache/Test.pm line 67.
>

> I _think_ I took care of it.  let me know if we're not ok now.

Thanks Geoff :0)

>>it's pretty much a requirement for me that httpd-test works with stock
>>perl distributions; can this be fixed?
>

> hmm...
>
> well, let's discuss this.  the purpose of the test-more-unstable branch is
> to rewrite Apache-Test so that it uses Test::More instead of Test.pm.  there
> are a bunch of reasons why I think this is good, but I think the main
> motivator is that Test.pm can't handle threaded perls properly under some
> conditions (stas can add more eventually).

Right. Test.pm simply doesn't cut.

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Re: Test::Build requirement?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Orton wrote:
> All my regression tests failed last night like this:

> server localhost.localdomain:8541 listening (proxy_https_http)
> [   info] adding source lib .../Apache-Test/lib to @INC
> -withtestmore error: Test::Builder version 0.18_01 required--this is
> only version 0.17 at .../Apache-Test/lib/Apache/Test.pm line 67.
>
> it's pretty much a requirement for me that httpd-test works with stock
> perl distributions; can this be fixed?

That's weird. I thought I've committed that change in the branch that I've
made. It looks like switching to another branch didn't quite work :( sorry
about that. Could you please revert my Apache-Test changes from yesterday?
Unfortunately I can't do it now, since I'm leaving for the airport in a
moment. Thanks a lot!