Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Ken Frank <Ke...@Sun.COM> on 2007/09/12 17:37:08 UTC

Re: Derby and character set encodings

the one remaining question, for the folks at derby-user (and adding
derby-dev) is the first one:

1.  when one creates a new derby database,
is the database created with a certain encoding that will be used ?

or is there an argument given to create command that can indicate the encoding to be used ?

And if so, is that encoding the default encoding of the locale I am in when I run
the create database command or is it utf-8 always ?
(for example, for one of the Japanese locales of Solaris, the encoding of it
is euc-jp)

or could it be that of the encoding of the locale the actual dbase server
is started in ?  (which might be java's view of the users locale/encoding
which would be I think the same as the OS locale user is in)

that is, user might start the db server in some separate locale from where they start netbeans.

Thanks - Ken

if your reply to this mail bounces,
and reply was sent to kenf@<somemachinename>,
then please reply to ken.frank@sun.com  instead

Re: Derby and character set encodings

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Ken Frank wrote:
> the one remaining question, for the folks at derby-user (and adding
> derby-dev) is the first one:
>
> 1.  when one creates a new derby database,
> is the database created with a certain encoding that will be used ?

No. The database doesn't have an encoding.

Dan.