Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> on 2000/11/29 06:39:53 UTC

esql logicsheet finished (?!)

welp, guys, i haven't heard any comments from the peanut gallery on the
latest esql logicsheet in a while, which means that it's working for
everyone, or everyone has stopped using it. either way, i reckon i now
consider the namespace to be frozen, barring a gotcha in the next little
bit here from matt regarding his potential perl implementation. elements
may still be added, but the structure will remain as is, and the existing
elements won't disappear suddenly. sound good to all?

now, on to fix the c2 implementation.

- donald

Re: esql logicsheet finished (?!)

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:07:38PM -0500, Donald Ball wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Paul Russell wrote:
> > That could work. Could even write a quick taglib to only include
> > the relevent code. I think. Maybe. Really need to get to grips
> > with taglibs. Who's dealing with SiLLy?
> that's entirely ricardo's baby. i can see where it would be useful, but
> i've learned to deal without it :)

That's what I thought. Has anyone heard from Ricardo recently?
Not heard from him for aggges. Kinda worrying.

> > > is there an easy way to strip the root element
> > > from the incoming SAX stream without writing a fullblown SAX filter?
> > Hmm. There's already code for doing this in XIncludeTranslator
> > (your baby, isn't it? ;). Time to move this into org.apache.cocoon.xml?
> erm. probably, it's been almost a year since i wrote that code, and it was
> mostly an experiment to learn SAX.

Heh. I'll move it a bit later if I get a chance, if that's okay
with everyone?

Paul.

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: esql logicsheet finished (?!)

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Paul Russell wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:01:38PM -0500, Donald Ball wrote:
> > > Should XSP not provide some functionality for this? Looks
> > > worryingly like a maintenance nightmare to me...
> > we had been talking about adding extra functionality to the xsp:element
> > element, so that the name of the element could be specified either as an
> > attribute to the element element (:)) or a child element named name.
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > <xsp:element>
> >   <xsp:name>foobar</xsp:name>
> > </xsp:element>
> >
> > instead of
> >
> > <xsp:element name="foobar">...</xsp:element>
> >
> > can i get a vote on adding this to c2's xsp-1.1 implementation?
>
> +1 here.
>
> Donald; as an aside, you seem to be 'particularly good' at the
> whole logicsheet thing -- is there anything in the way of
> documentation or magic bullet techniques you can give us?
> I've tried to write an EJB taglib, for example, and it was
> an unmitegated disaster - ended up including code in the
> taglib input, which is Wrong, in my opinion. Help! :)

hmm. i did a big ol' post on this awhile back, and maybe someday i'll try
to put it all into a paper, but the basic principles seem to include:

1. allow your code to be configured using parameters from other
logicsheets. this is key. see get-nested-content and get-nested-string.

2. provide functions such that your users can access your output instead
of pushing it upon them. this is key - it lets authors insert your output
in the result tree or use it in the logic layer. note this forbids you
from using the xsp:logic element inside these elements.

3. keep track of your flow control. you can branch in XSLT at logicsheet
application time, based on elements present or absent in the xsp page, or
you can branch in your logic language (java) at runtime based on, well,
runtime information (request parameters, etc.).

4. (shockingly) avoid shunting all of your logic to an external library,
at least the parts that deal with creating results. this flies in the face
of most other logicsheet authors' design principles, but it helped me
_tremendously_. in the esql logicsheet, i just wanted to have more control
over the format of the results - but the ability to use the results as
input parameters to other logicsheets was an unexpected and profound
bonus.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> > we had been talking about adding extra functionality to the xsp:element
> > element, so that the name of the element could be specified either as an
> > attribute to the element element (:)) or a child element named name.
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > <xsp:element>
> >   <xsp:name>foobar</xsp:name>
> > </xsp:element>
> >
> > instead of
> >
> > <xsp:element name="foobar">...</xsp:element>
> >
> > can i get a vote on adding this to c2's xsp-1.1 implementation?
>
> Err, it'd be nice if you gave this as feedback to Kip's XSP spec posting,
> rather than just going straight to Cocoon-dev for a vote...

you are so correct. i've been queueing my my xsp-dev mail for an
uncluttered hour or two, but given my cluttered life, that's probably an
unwise policy. thanks.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Donald Ball wrote:

> > > Yes, this is bad habit of xsp. It must be rewritten in a SAX manner and
> > > this means we have to maintain both versions :(
> >
> > Should XSP not provide some functionality for this? Looks
> > worryingly like a maintenance nightmare to me...
>
> we had been talking about adding extra functionality to the xsp:element
> element, so that the name of the element could be specified either as an
> attribute to the element element (:)) or a child element named name.
>
> e.g.
>
> <xsp:element>
>   <xsp:name>foobar</xsp:name>
> </xsp:element>
>
> instead of
>
> <xsp:element name="foobar">...</xsp:element>
>
> can i get a vote on adding this to c2's xsp-1.1 implementation?

Err, it'd be nice if you gave this as feedback to Kip's XSP spec posting,
rather than just going straight to Cocoon-dev for a vote...

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: esql logicsheet finished (?!)

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:09:42PM +0100, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > 1. get-columns method. i need to create elements whose names i don't know
> > a priori. xsp doesn't give you a built-in way to do that, so i've been
> > messing with DOM directly.
> Yes, this is bad habit of xsp. It must be rewritten in a SAX manner and
> this means we have to maintain both versions :(

Should XSP not provide some functionality for this? Looks
worryingly like a maintenance nightmare to me...

Ricardo? Thoughts?

P.

Crossposted to XSP-dev for input. Replies set to cocoon-dev.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> > > Yes, +1024 :-)
> >
> > Hehe. Anything the rest of us can do to help? (other than
> > finding intreguing ways to break it ;)
>
> sure. you could do the port yourself so that i don't have to worry about
> it. ;). really, the only tricky bits i don't know how to solve are:
>
> 1. get-columns method. i need to create elements whose names i don't know
> a priori. xsp doesn't give you a built-in way to do that, so i've been
> messing with DOM directly.

Yes, this is bad habit of xsp. It must be rewritten in a SAX manner and
this means we have to maintain both versions :(

> 2. get-xml method. i don't know how to ask c2 for a parser, or what to do
> with the SAX events it will give me.

Well, look at the FileGenerator. It uses something like:

            Parser parser=(Parser)this.manager.lookup(Roles.PARSER);
            parser.setContentHandler(this.contentHandler);
            parser.setLexicalHandler(this.lexicalHandler);

parser.parse(super.resolver.resolveEntity(null,this.source));

I think something similar should be available to an xsp page.

Giacomo

Re: esql logicsheet finished (?!)

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Paul Russell wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:40:19AM +0100, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > > now, on to fix the c2 implementation.
> > Yes, +1024 :-)
>
> Hehe. Anything the rest of us can do to help? (other than
> finding intreguing ways to break it ;)

sure. you could do the port yourself so that i don't have to worry about
it. ;). really, the only tricky bits i don't know how to solve are:

1. get-columns method. i need to create elements whose names i don't know
a priori. xsp doesn't give you a built-in way to do that, so i've been
messing with DOM directly.

2. get-xml method. i don't know how to ask c2 for a parser, or what to do
with the SAX events it will give me.

suggestions along these lines are welcome.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> welp, guys, i haven't heard any comments from the peanut gallery on the
> latest esql logicsheet in a while, which means that it's working for
> everyone, or everyone has stopped using it. either way, i reckon i now
> consider the namespace to be frozen, barring a gotcha in the next little
> bit here from matt regarding his potential perl implementation. elements
> may still be added, but the structure will remain as is, and the existing
> elements won't disappear suddenly. sound good to all?

Good work! +1

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerz.com>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Donald Ball wrote:
> welp, guys, i haven't heard any comments from the peanut gallery on the
> latest esql logicsheet in a while, which means that it's working for
> everyone, or everyone has stopped using it. either way, i reckon i now
> consider the namespace to be frozen, barring a gotcha in the next little
> bit here from matt regarding his potential perl implementation. elements
> may still be added, but the structure will remain as is, and the existing
> elements won't disappear suddenly. sound good to all?

Huzzah! +1

| Kevin Sonney        kevin@webslingerZ.com |
| Systems Programmer    www.webslingerZ.com |

"The weakest link in any civil rights case is always the
defendant. Imagine being a lawyer and getting a call from me. That's why I
try to, uh, behave myself." - Hunter S. Thompson

Re: esql logicsheet finished (?!)

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Donald Ball wrote:
>
> > welp, guys, i haven't heard any comments from the peanut gallery on the
> > latest esql logicsheet in a while, which means that it's working for
> > everyone, or everyone has stopped using it. either way, i reckon i now
> > consider the namespace to be frozen, barring a gotcha in the next little
> > bit here from matt regarding his potential perl implementation. elements
> > may still be added, but the structure will remain as is, and the existing
> > elements won't disappear suddenly. sound good to all?
>
> Can we have a spec please?

ha! yes, if you look in samples/sql/esql.xsd, you'll find what i hope is a
schema for the namespace. i know it's not a conformant schema, but i need
help in making it so. i guess i should go ahead and add some annotation
though to describe explicitly what the various portions mean - i'll do
that this evening.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.