Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Deepak Bhole <db...@redhat.com> on 2006/09/20 05:22:10 UTC

Missing versions for maven-project from plugins poms

Hi,

(Please let me know if this is the incorrect list for this by the way..
I am posting here because I believe this is a development related
question).

I have noticed that some maven plugins do not mention versions for
maven-project. For example:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-ejb-plugin/2.0/maven-ejb-plugin-2.0.pom
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plugin/2.1/maven-install-plugin-2.1.pom

Is there a reason why they do not do so? I traced why these are no
errors over this, and it is because maven-plugin-parent brings in
maven-project as a dependency. Since all plugins need the parent,
maven-project is always there and the plugin resolution step is always
skipped. Since dependency validation requires a version to be there, I
think that version should be there in all poms.

Cheers,
Deepak